Garage bed support?

odens_14

First to introduce myself, My name is Chris, I live in SE South Dakota and me and my wife just purchased a 2008 Cyclone 4012, which we absolutely love!

Now to my question, We would like to create some sort of support system for the lower bunk in the garage so it can support 2 adults ~350-400 lbs total. The bed now is tagged 300 lbs max. My thought is to secure a 2x4 width wise in the middle of the bed then attach a scissor jack in the middle of the 2x4. there should be enough clearance with the jack up that it will be higher than the loft section when fully up, so I won't have to worry about hitting my head when it's up.

Has anyone done anything like this, or do you see any reason why it wouldn't work?

~Chris

porthole

Retired
Hey Chris, Are you referring to using the bed in the lowered position?

If so I would skip the jack. If you are concerend about excessive weight I would just make a support out of 2x4's that is the correct height.

Something that looks like this. Easy enough to store in between the upper and lower bunks.

---------------------
| | |
| | |
---------------

hey chris, are you referring to using the bed in the lowered position?

If so i would skip the jack. If you are concerend about excessive weight i would just make a support out of 2x4's that is the correct height.

Something that looks like this. Easy enough to store in between the upper and lower bunks.

---------------------
| | |
| | |
---------------

x2..

odens_14

Yes, using the bed in the lowered position.

I'm not sure I'm folowing the picture.

are you just talking about wedging cut to length 2x4's between the bed and floor?

porthole

Retired
Yes, using the bed in the lowered position.

I'm not sure I'm folowing the picture.

are you just talking about wedging cut to length 2x4's between the bed and floor?

OK, try this with a picture instead of text that lost it's formattiing

Attachments

• bed_support.JPG
    bed_support.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 87

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I made 2 "sawhorses" from 3/8" plywood...they are 24" wide with a piano hinge across the top and a notch on each side near the bottom. I tie a piece of rope around the horse using the notches to hold it in place. I place a 2 foot by 4 foot piece of 3/8" plywood on top of the horses and lower the bottom bunk on top of the "table". Using the ropes around the horses I can easily adjust the height of the horses to make sure they are giving full support to the bunk.
When not needed, the two horses will fold flat and, with the top piece, easily store under the bunk mattress.