Oops! What is this?

DennisZ

Looks like the break-away switch plunger to me!!! I did that one at a slow speed, the emergency brakes REALLY do work!

Dennis

jbeletti

You're fast Dennis! And correct. I did the same thing - a very slow-speed tear out. But the trailer was parked. I was all unhitched and setup but failed to see that the dangling break away wire was snagged on something in the bed.

About 10 minutes after finding it in my bed, I looked at the pin box and the switch was HOT. The wired had shorted (as designed I assume) in order to lock up the brakes. I ended up snipping them behind the switch.

Lesson learned: After removing break away switch wire loop from hitch handle, place wire loop inside pin box.

Jim

Uncle Rog

Rumor has it that if your brake controler is hooked up when you "pull the pin" the unit suffers a debilitating surge.........as in other scenarios.....

jbeletti

UR,

In my case, as I was all unhitched/unconnected, the brake controller was not connected to the trailer - so it saw nothing.

I do hope that 10 minutes of full-on braking did no damage to the brakes/magnets/etc.

Jim

Pulltab

Uncle Rog said:
Rumor has it that if your brake controler is hooked up when you "pull the pin" the unit suffers a debilitating surge.........as in other scenarios.....

Never thought about this, could be a potential problem. Gotta sort that one out in my head. :)

kognito

my last, and current Ford have Tow Command. When you "pull the pin" with tow command you get all kinds of bells and alarms on the dash.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I was told if the pin is pulled and remains out for a length of time the brake magnets may burn out. Is this true or false?

Forrest Fetherolf

I always pull the emergency break-away pin as a test to insure each wheel brake is working, when I adjust the brakes.
I doubt that leaving the pin removed will burn out the electro-magnet, they are used in many other applications and don't have a problem. The batteries would discharge, if not plugged into shore power. Heat build-up from excessive braking could be the killer of the electro-magnets or braking components.

jbeletti

Darn it! So I could have just put that plunger back in? I figured it was broken so I cut the wires - and close to the switch too. Rather than pull the switch housing apart to rewire it, I think I'll replace it and hold onto the old one as a spare/parts.

Jimmyt5

Had mine hang up when making a turn in the Flying J, the truck didn't like that.

I now have it fixed so it will not get hung up on anything....