Type of Mattress

Bob Vaughn

Our 2011 3250TS has a mattress that we do not like. It is almost like the feeling you get from a water bed. I told my wife it was like sleeping on jello. It jiggles when either of us turns over. Our SOB camper had a nice firm mattress. I think it would be a chore to swap out the mattress. I am looking for recommendations as to what to replace it with. We have slept on it for about 100 nights and are not happy with how it sleeps....

Ellie

We thought our Bighorn had a mattress that was like sleeping on a sidewalk! I went to Costco and bought one of those king sized gel mattress pads and we now love our Bighorn bed more than our new, expensive Sealy at home. You do have to let the gel pad air out for a few days after you open the package. It smells like rubber, and it takes a while for the gel to expand properly. It was a bit wide and long for the smaller RV king, but once you put the sheets on, it doesn't cause an issue. With Costco, you can always take it back if you don't like it!

FlyerChief

We had the same problem in our SOB Class A. After a lot of restless nights, we got rid of the original mattress and replaced it with a memory foam mattress. We got ours from http://www.bedinabox.com/ and we were VERY happy with the change. In fact, we liked it so much, when we traded our Class A for our new Bighorn a few weeks ago, we had them take the brand new mattress out of the BH and move our memory foam mattress over from the Class A. Please note, we have no affiliation with the above company, we are just VERY satisfied customers. Their product is excellent and substantially cheaper than what is available from other well-known stores or web sites. It's pretty amazing......comes in a pretty small box.....make sure you get it where you want it before you remove the wrapper!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Tried the bed in a box, even got the softest they made. After a week we sent it back...felt like I was sleeping on a brick. Bought a Select Comfort and are very happy with it.

Sur

We slept on the original mattress in our 2011 3650 for about eight months... Got tired of sleeping in a mushy valley of memory foam that shakes with every snore. The wife complained so I replaced it with a king sized organic latex nine inch bed from plushbeds.com for $2,500, worth every dollar. When we are ready to sell the rig we will keep the mattress.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We slept on the original mattress in our 2011 3650 for about eight months... Got tired of sleeping in a mushy valley of memory foam that shakes with every snore. The wife complained so I replaced it with a king sized organic latex nine inch bed from plushbeds.com for $2,500, worth every dollar. When we are ready to sell the rig we will keep the mattress.

Another vote for the Plushbeds memory foam.
It's a Tempurpedic knockoff that I have to say is excellent.
(We also have a Tempurpedic at our house, so I started out a little skeptical that it would be any good).

We got the 8" RV Deluxe memory foam king.
It is 72" X 80" and fits perfectly into our existing bed platform.
($2500?) Ours only ran around $800. A bargain compared to our Tempurpedic.

Here's the link http://www.plushbeds.com/?cPath=11&osCsid=583d846392e0478f7c08e7b5fa35f938

Trace

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

I built a support to put under the bed across the middle to take the sag out of the platform. Then we put a nice 3" memory foam pad over the mattress. It's about 95% better without spending a big amount on it. Couldn't sleep on the original mattress. Some of these RV matresses are so bad I don't know how they expect you to sleep on them....Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We recently replaced ours with a Select Comfort (Sleep Number Bed). Slept great on our 25 night trip. Wish we could afford it for the house!!

brianharrison

We replaced ours with a Simmons Beautyrest - you know, the pocket coil bowling ball bed. We ordered it plush firmness, but you can upgrade to firm (heavier coil springs). We ordered directly from a Simmons factory outlet store here in Calgary. We were able to order a King 72x80 to fit in the OEM opening between nighstand and slide wall. Here is the Simmons US site.

Hope this helps.
Brian

back2nature

Anybody here have a Sleep Number bed? Been checking reviews about them lately. We can tell our original mattress is not going to last much longer.

billm

We have a Sleep Number at Home(king) and in our Big Country(expanded queen). We thought the expanded queen may be too small because we have had a kind bed for 40 years but we are both fine with the size. We bought the bed for our RV on the internet from a close out sale that they were offering a few years ago. We were happy with the king pillow top that came in our rv for the first year then the pillow top had two low spots where we each sleep. We love our Sleep Number bed! We are Workcampers and we live in our rv for 6 months each year.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Another vote here for the Sleep Number from CW. There are several companies making custom sized RV mattresses so you just have to decide what type mattress you want and go for it. It's easy enough to get the old one out and new one in.

Memory Foam type mattresses are heavier than Select Comforts so that's also a consideration.

Our daughter bought a bed in a box from the on line company. I built her a platform for it. Once it was ready to sleep on, I tried it but wasn't that impressed. It's like everything else, you have to decide what you like.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Anybody here have a Sleep Number bed? Been checking reviews about them lately. We can tell our original mattress is not going to last much longer.

As with any product, there are folks that love it and hate it. If you buy from Camping World, their two versions of the Sleep Number Bed are exclusive to them. We bought the Deluxe edition, which does not have the pillow top, and has a single wireless remote without the 'memory' function. We added a 1.5" memory foam topper we already had, and it's perfect. We use our brain for memory. ;) The bed is fairly easy to put together. It comes in two boxes. The fabric 'box', the foam sides of the bed, plastic corner connectors and the air bladders make up the mattress, then you have the remote, pump and air hoses. The pump is fairly quiet, hardly hear it when it's under the bed. The mattress can be assembled outside the rig, air added, and then brought in like a regular mattress (only much lighter), or you can bring pieces into the rig and assemble it in place. The hardest part is deciding where to put the pump, so it can get power, and the air hose can reach your mattress (designed to attach at the head of the bed.) we did some mods (cut a few holes) so we could put the pump in the storage compartment under the bed. I highly recommend you cover the particle board bed platform with stick-on tiles to make the surface smooth before adding your new mattress. It takes very little time, and will save your mattress from damage as well as making it easier to make the bed.

One thing tho. Laying in the bed, you set your number. Once you get up, the bed may become quite soft, so sitting on the mattress then may be uncomfortable. I found that adding air back to the mattress after we rise for the day makes the mattress uniform and feels like a normal mattress.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Something else to remember about the Sleep Number beds. When traveling in higher elevations, lower the air pressure in the mattress before heading up. You may just end up with a couple of big footballs in your bedroom.
This has been discussed before but I thought it was worth bringing up in this new thread.

JonV

Our 2011 3250TS has a mattress that we do not like. It is almost like the feeling you get from a water bed. I told my wife it was like sleeping on jello. It jiggles when either of us turns over. Our SOB camper had a nice firm mattress. I think it would be a chore to swap out the mattress. I am looking for recommendations as to what to replace it with. We have slept on it for about 100 nights and are not happy with how it sleeps....

We'd replaced the mattress in our previous trailer with a good quality mattress (a Sealy I believe) about 3 months before we ordered our BC. When we went to pickup our new BC we had them switch the mattresses. They guys doing the switch questioned it because the BC came with a "nice" pillow top mattress. It was funny to watch them just fold up the brand new pillow top mattress to remove it. Bringing our "old" mattress in was another story completely... it had them panting. ;)

Bob Vaughn

JONV, I had to remove our mattress from the bedroom in order to install some storage space under the bed. I could not believe how flimsy the mattress was. I could not believe how it did bend and twist. I do not know if a quality built mattress could be finagled into the bedroom of our 3250TS.

JonV

JONV, I had to remove our mattress from the bedroom in order to install some storage space under the bed. I could not believe how flimsy the mattress was. I could not believe how it did bend and twist. I do not know if a quality built mattress could be finagled into the bedroom of our 3250TS.

When we ordered our mattress we had it delivered so moving them wasn't our problem. :) The original mattress was donated, through the company we bought from, to an organization that makes sure kids from low income families have a decent bed to sleep on.