New 2011 M21 owner - window fastener corrosion?

evolvingpowercat

Hi, I have just acquired a used 2011 Edge M21. I had noticed that the corner cap screws on all the windows were rusty and replaced them all with stainless. Then today I had the windows open and it started getting windy. The next thing I know the window by the bed on the door side has come off the trailer and is hanging by one remaining screw! The little screws across the top of the window did not hold. When I remounted the window, I replaced them all with 3/4" stainless and re-caulked, the old screws I could find were VERY corroded and VERY short.

Was this a freak thing? Or do I need to replace the screws on all my other windows as well. Would have thought a 2 year old trailer would not already need to have its window screws replaced.

Randy
Overland Park, Kansas, USA
2011 Heartland Edge M21

danemayer

I had noticed that the corner cap screws on all the windows were rusty and replaced them all with stainless.
Hi Randy,

Rust and corrosion suggests there may be a longstanding water problem that was ignored. Maybe a caulking problem? I think Heartland recommends checking caulking every few months, but I'll bet most of us check at most once a year.

If the replacement screws didn't tighten securely when you put them in, I'd think you'd want to revisit to make sure all is secure.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another possible fastener is aluminum pop rivets. I was a bit leary about using the ones supplied with the window awning I installed, but after using them (to mount the bracket bases), they ain't coming out in this lifetime. Rather than relying on a thread or two in the thin wall material, the holding power is behind the panel with the expanded portion of the rivet.

evolvingpowercat

Here is a photo of what was used on my 2011 Edge M21 to hold the operating part of your windows on your Edge, that and some caulk, yes it is scary. I can see why one of my windows almost fell off when open and I got a little wind on them. I replaced them all with stainless, one shown on the top of the photo. Also added a couple more screws next to ones that were over torqued and stripped out.

The rivets sounds like a good idea, my concern would be that the outer plastic sheet plus 1/8 inch plywood might be thin enough that the back of the rivet would pull thru and then what? Anyway, I just replaced all the screws this morning.

Photo1.jpg

Last edited:

danemayer

Randy, judging from your photo, the new screw looks like it's maybe the same diameter and pitch as the original, but longer. If the screw is just going into a thin wall, why do you expect the extra length to hold more securely?

evolvingpowercat

Bigger screws have bigger heads and interfere with the window shutting properly. I replaced the OEM screws with stainless because I did not like the way the original ones were rusting. The length was just due to availability, the only thing the screw is biting into is the outer plastic sheet plus 1/8 inch plywood outer side wall sheet of the trailer at that point above the windows. Most of the screws had not stripped out. Where one had I had to add another screw near the one that had stripped and no longer giving holding power.

Last edited: