Electric awnings?

ChopperBill

If it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all, but I would still have an awning. While in South Dakota last week I had the awning out for about 4 days and then about midnight a down pour that would equal an Ark drowning came down. Oops! I forgot to let one side down for rain run off. Yep, the awing broke in the middle scaring the living day lights out of us at one in the morning. Going to replace it with and electric one but I am not sure what one. I am pretty sure it will be a Care Free of Colorado but and at odds between the Eclipse or the Travel'r. Any suggestions?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Chopper Bill...happened to us several years ago, also in the middle of the night, sounds like a bomb going off!!

Can't help with the electric awnings haven't had one yet, but would like to see what others say, as we're interested in upgrading ours too.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Bill, We had the A&E/Dometic Weather Pro put on our 2006 BH 3600 by the dealer, and it has been no problems. It goes up automatically if it is too windy, and one corner dips about 15 degrees when it rains and fills with water. The wind sensor can be deactivated with a switch located on the control panel in the basement. There is also a switch in the cabinet by the door, and it also comes with a remote control. Two draw backs, the awning cannot be lowered towards the ground, and one side can not be tipped. It is all the way out or all the way in. Instructions tell us not to partcially extend or retract the unit. The A&E and Carefree reps we talked to at an openhouse suggested upgrading to acrlic because it is cooler and may be a little liter. I have not noticed a big difference in temp under the awning. Page 26 of the Camping World master catalog shows the Weather Pro. Hope this helps.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The electric awning option sounds good for the dining slide out. Has anyone installed an electric awning on a slide out? Where does the support arm mount on the slide out. On the slide out, I would only open the awning during the day so there is less chance to over load the slide with a night storm. With the electric type, opening and closing would be easy.

DE

ChopperBill

I ordered a Carefree Eclipse today. Getting the acrylic. With the Eclipse you can set the pitch. They actually were not as expensive as we first thought.

Uncle Rog

Chopper, that is a nice unit and it is not that pricey. Keep us informed as to how you like it.....

Tom of Ypsi

I must have the only electric awning lemon. I had the awning fixed after the rally, wind sensor did not work, and now it does not work again. I watched my awning go up in the air the other day, a real sudden gust of wind, and it did not retract as it is suppose to. Yes it is in the enablo mode.

ChopperBill

Tom, I didn't order the fancy pants Auto Retract sensor. On ours we just push the switch in or out until it is at the desired distance. I think a lot of electric awnings they will just go fully out or in. I figure if it is raining I will just extend it enough to cover the step to the door and/or set the pitch lower on one side. A high dollar MH in the same park we were at had 3 fancy awnings. Two worked and one didn't. The one that didn't ended up like ours. After our last awning disaster I'm not about to leave it out for some fancy electronic widget to run it.