My solution for adding inverter to my Edge M21

evolvingpowercat

I did the following to add an 1200 watt inverter, solar charge controller to connect a portable 80 W solar panel to, and second 12 V outlet to my new to me 2011 Heartland Edge M21. It works and will power either the microwave oven or a coffee pot. The second marine battery will allow the inverter to deliver about 3 Kilowatt hours of AC power without taking away from the capacity of the original battery to operate the trailer between battery charges when dry camping.

Steps:

Installed a 2nd battery, tied to 1st battery with a 80 Amp fused link.
Ran a 80 Amp fused lead to my pump compartment from the batteries
Ran a 80 Amp ground lead from frame to my pump compartment
Made a 4 sided box to mount the items on that sits above the pump
Used a battery box strap and corner brackets on floor to secure the box
Made a pass thru for the solar panel cable with 2" PVC with caps
The charge controller and 12 V outlet are tied to the inverter DC lugs with a 15 Amp fused link.

The cables are long enough that the box can be lifted out and placed in the adjacent storage compartment when access to the pump is needed.

Photo 1 from above - note the solar panel cable run thru the 2" PVC floor pass thru tube cap. The cable is stored in this compartment
when not in use and a cap without hole goes in its place. Go as far away from the pass thru compartment wall
as possible to avoid hitting a joist in the flooring sandwich that is located there.

IMG_0090.jpg

Photo 2 - from front. Reinforced the plywood around the cut out and will install a door here.
IMG_0088.jpg

Randy
2011 Heartland Edge M21
Overland Park, Kansas, USA

Last edited:

Trailer_Joe

Very nice. I was thinking of adding a dual panel set up to my M18. Do you feel you could properly add panels to the roof of these trailers.