Blowing air thru ducts

kellyboy

Just purchased a 2005 Landmark. Been testing things out in the driveway. It has two AC units and seems to cool pretty well. Been in the 90's here in Austin the last couple of days and the unit seems to stay in the 70's. Can't really complain about that. The only thing I have noticed is that when I shut the vent at the main unit in the living room to increase the flow of air thru the ducts I don't get much airflow thru the ducts. The service department at my local dealership recommended that I blow air thru the ducts with an air compressor to clean out the ducts. Anyone done this? Do you or don't you recommend it.

Thanks

Kelly

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think blowing air from a 1/4 inch air nozzle will do to much in the way of clearing a 2x8 size duct.
Have you read about the 'tent in a vent' mod on this forum?
It helps increase the efficiency of the airflow as it leaves the plenum.
Here is a link to the process.
I would start there.

Peace
Dave

kellyboy

Thanks cookie. I read it and come up with something to create that tent. And yes that helped tremendously. Thanks for directing me to the link. Very helpful

hoefler

All so pull down all the registers from the ceiling. Using foil duct tape, tape all the discharges, sealing all leaks from the attic.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I did the tent-in-the-vent a few years back and it helped. One thing to check is, the ends of the runs. Mine had some cheap tape in them and it had come off. I used some foam block, stuffed it in the duct and used the GOOD silver tape to seal and hold it in place. It made alot of difference in air flow. Taping the duct to the ceiling at each register will help also.

Last edited: