ATF: Edge - Proper Caulking

Chumbly

Does anyone know, (for sure) what kind of roofing material is on the M21?... And, what kind of calking is used around it's edges? Also, I need to know what other calkings are used and where on this unit. My dealer is of no use to me, and I've lost all faith in them so will attempt this myself.

evolvingpowercat

There is another thread where a photo of the roof construction is posted. The top layer is a standard RV roof rubber membrane glued to 1/8 plywood. Sorry I don't know what kind of original caulking was used.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Heartland is very fond of Sikaflex 505UV sealant. That is what they told me they used. It was too difficult to find in my area and too expensive to order so I did some research. Consensus was...any good quality Polyurethane based caulk should work. I opted for two products made by Tremco and available at Fastenal stores. Trempro 626 and Trempro 635. For the flat surfaces I would still recommend Dicor self-leveling lap sealant.

I do not know what material is on the roof. Our BC is TPO.

Best Wishes!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
The Sikaflex 505UV, from what they told me at Gillette, is for caulking the sides. The roof you want to use the Dicor self leveling.

I found the Sikaflex is easy to use and you can get it off your hands easier than the other caulking.

BC

Chumbly

Thanks guys. Actually one of the fellows from Heartland read my questions and phoned me with most of the answers. One more question though...When re-sealing the joints, does one rip out all of the old caulk, just where it's cracked, or just run the new caulking over the old?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would try to remove anything that is loose then clean all surfaces that are being re-caulked. I like Awesome cleaner but any good cleaner will work. Rinse well and wait for it to dry before applying the new caulk. Have fun!

ChangingPlaces

Thanks guys. Actually one of the fellows from Heartland read my questions and phoned me with most of the answers. One more question though...When re-sealing the joints, does one rip out all of the old caulk, just where it's cracked, or just run the new caulking over the old?
Hi
I am in the proccess of rechaulking our rig at the moment. We have had some sealant crack on us, so I have dug this out very carefully and have redone it.
I used a 2in masking tape on the fiberglass gel coat while digging out the old sealant to protect it from being scatched with the knife or scraper.
I have masked up on both surfaces so I can get nice straight lines. On the joints that are not so bad I have just cleaned them down with Acetone, that is the key (clean everything down throughly) so you get the key. The sealant I am using is an adhesive and a sealant called Simpson 7003. It comes in white, black and grey, it's great.
This process is not a fast fix but worth it in the end and looks good.
Good luck with your project.
Cheers Paul