Gap in ODS Window rubber molding

wingfoot

I just noticed an inch on one side and a half inch gap at the bottom of the window on the other. It looks like perhaps the rubber molding has shrunk. I was thinking of using a little black silicon to fill the gaps...It may not be a problem, as the window is designed to allow water to drain out the slotted metal frame..
What do you guys think?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I just found that on my rear window. After a couple of calls, starting with HL Customer Service, I ended up talking to a company that would sell me the molding in the length I needed. Should have it by the end of the week.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I also have several windows with an inch or so gap from shrinkage. Are your windows Hehr or another brand. There are so many different moldings to order I am at a loss as to which one to purchase. THESE people sell the trim but I just don't know what size to order. I guess I could pull out the old and cut a piece off to send for comparison?

JohnDar

I also have several windows with an inch or so gap from shrinkage. Are your windows Hehr or another brand. There are so many different moldings to order I am at a loss as to which one to purchase. THESE people sell the trim but I just don't know what size to order. I guess I could pull out the old and cut a piece off to send for comparison?

I don't mean to dump work on Becky at HL Customer Service, but if you give her the VIN and which window it is, she should be able to give you the part number for the window. With that, the trim seller may be able to hook you up with the right one. HL had referred me directly to Hehr, but they in turn had me call these folks. With the first four numbers of the long part number Becky gave me and a description of where on the window the problem was, the replacement molding was identified.

I don't mean to debate parts suppliers, this is just the path my inquiry took.

http://www.parkin-acc.com/

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Is it safe to assume you guys are talking about the trim molding that runs around the perimeter of the window? Basically it's the black trim that fills the channel of the aluminum frame right? Mine has been shrinking since new. I just use a rubber mallet and whack it back in once in a while. Works for me.

JohnDar

Is it safe to assume you guys are talking about the trim molding that runs around the perimeter of the window? Basically it's the black trim that fills the channel of the aluminum frame right? Mine has been shrinking since new. I just use a rubber mallet and whack it back in once in a while. Works for me.

I tried forcing it back in by various means, but it still works free leaving the lower corner open.

wingfoot

Yep, Steve mine are Hehr and like you have visited their site but can't figure out what molding to buy...I still think I might just use silicon...

wingfoot

Here is an update...I contacted Parkin Ind. and spoke with Doug. He was very helpful and gave me the type of molding used by 99% of the Herhr windows. He confirmed that our moldings will shrink and in all probability will continue to do so. They sell the material in increments of anything from a foot to any length you would need.
I have reposted the link that John posted (thanks John)...
The attachment below is taken from their site and is the molding for Herhr...Doug also said it has been the same for years.

click image to enlarge.
Screen shot 2012-07-18 at 2.07.37 PV.jpg

334 is for the non-sliding windows...and 842 is for sliding windows...
BTW: Doug said it's an easy install..just snaps in...
Good luck

http://www.parkin-acc.com/

JohnDar

My order arrived at the CG yesterday. Might get it on today since it doesn't look like a good boating day.

JohnDar

I finished the install in about 40 minutes. Most of that was spent experimenting with how to force the new trim into place, since the old trim just pulls out. Ended up starting at the middle of the window (it's blunt cut there) and working along the bottom, into the curved corner, and up to the top, where it's cut at a 45-deg. angle to meet the other piece. To force the trim into place so that it snapped in, I ended up using the head of my rubber mallet to slowly roll it in until it snapped in. I cut the angle with a box cutter when I reached that end. Used about four feet of the six I bought.

Looks good as new. When installing it, resist the urge to pull and stretch it to force it into position. You don't want it to be under tension when it's in there.

Firhaven

I recently found that my rear picture window rubber is also pulling away in the top corners. As I researched my problem I found this forum and eagerly joined, hence my first post. I am a new owner of a gently used 2008 Bighorn 3055 RL. I feared that I may have to go to a (GULP)- RV Repair shop! This forum has given me hope that I may be able to do the job myself, I am a pretty handy guy. I would like to know if there is any other advice to be given before I do the repair- lubricating the rubber, heating it in the sun, etc. THANKS to all who lurk here, the advice given will be greatly appreciated.

jimtoo

Hi Firhaven,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members will jump in with some help soon. If your just a little bit on the handy side, you can handle most of the things that go wrong in our rv's.

Enjoy the forum. Also think of joining the Heartland Owners Club and attending some of the rallies and meeting and making lots of friends and eating some great food.

Jim M

JohnDar

I recently found that my rear picture window rubber is also pulling away in the top corners. As I researched my problem I found this forum and eagerly joined, hence my first post. I am a new owner of a gently used 2008 Bighorn 3055 RL. I feared that I may have to go to a (GULP)- RV Repair shop! This forum has given me hope that I may be able to do the job myself, I am a pretty handy guy. I would like to know if there is any other advice to be given before I do the repair- lubricating the rubber, heating it in the sun, etc. THANKS to all who lurk here, the advice given will be greatly appreciated.

No, I didn't use any lube or heat on the new rubber strip. Just massage it into place as I described in my earlier post.