Generator help?

SeldomSeen

Okay, thanks everyone for your input, it was very helpful and provoked additional investigation. Here is what I'm thinking now. My unit is a 15.0 btu A/C that will take about 20 amps to start and less to continue to function. If I hook up two yamaha 2000's that should give me about 4000 watts of startup or 33 amps and 3200 watts or 26.6 amps to continue running. I think that should be enough to run the A/C and maybe the tv. No curling irons until something get shut off however and coffee will just have to wait. Any additional thoughts regarding this issue?

Since I'm a newbie to this generator stuff I really did need some advise and then after doing a lot of research I still want some assurances from people a whole lot smarter than I that my calculations are correct. Any assistance appreciated. Thanks for the help you guys are all fantastic!

pegmikef

That should do fine. I have the Honda 2000s and they produce almost exactly the same as you said the Yamahas produce. I, too, have a 15K btu a/c and they run it just fine. You can hear them surge just a little at startup, but then they settle right back down. I put a meter on the line and the a/c actually only draws a little over 1400 watts after it is started. I can't tell you how much it takes to start the a/c because my meter only goes to 1800 watts. I run mine in the economy mode which works well, but assumes you don't have any big ticket items (e.g., microwave, coffeee pot, HW heater, etc) running. I can run the TV, satellite receiver and a fan as well as the a/c. We run the reefer and HW heater on gas when we are using the generators. For coffee, we use our old stove top percolator that we have from our tent camping days. Works great.

dave10a

Okay, thanks everyone for your input, it was very helpful and provoked additional investigation. Here is what I'm thinking now. My unit is a 15.0 btu A/C that will take about 20 amps to start and less to continue to function. If I hook up two yamaha 2000's that should give me about 4000 watts of startup or 33 amps and 3200 watts or 26.6 amps to continue running. I think that should be enough to run the A/C and maybe the tv. No curling irons until something get shut off however and coffee will just have to wait. Any additional thoughts regarding this issue?

Since I'm a newbie to this generator stuff I really did need some advise and then after doing a lot of research I still want some assurances from people a whole lot smarter than I that my calculations are correct. Any assistance appreciated. Thanks for the help you guys are all fantastic!

Watts are watts no matter where they come from. Yamaha's are top of the line generators either inverter style or portable and the specifications can be trusted with confidence.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have 2 Honda i2000U that can be paralleled to use for 30a service. I like my generators and used them for almost 2 days when a storm dropped the power lines to the campground in PA.

This is something for you to think about. Each has a 1 gal tank which should run for 9 hrs. I built a dual feed gas tank from a 6gal marine tank so it would run all night.

You have no way to keep the generators secure unless you make a box for them or chain them down. They have been stolen even when they were chained to the trailer.

If I were to do it again I would probably try to have a generator installed in the trailer. You could run it while you are going down the highway to run the A/C and when you get to a campground your trailer is cool.

There are some that have made some great mods for portable generators. I saw one where they built a metal box and mounted it on the back of the trailer.

Here is one that I saw in another campground. It is bolted to a frame that is mounted onto two 2" receivers. Nice looking installation.

Generator platform for Trailer.jpg

BC

SeldomSeen

I like that idea of bolting it to the frame, however I have an AK-47, AR-15, two Nine MM pistols and a wife you don't want to get angry, think I'm pretty safe. However, that is still a great idea and would allow me enough time to get my greeting arranged nicely for anyone attempting to seal anything! Thanks again for all the assistants, you guys are great.

pegmikef

I use industrial grade cables and wrap the cable tightly around the whole generator under the handle and then connect it to my trailer or a large tree. All this effort though only keeps honest people honest. Given the desire and time "they" will figure out how to steal it regardless of what we do. The AK-47 route is probably the only real security . . . but then a guard must be posted.

SeldomSeen

I use industrial grade cables and wrap the cable tightly around the whole generator under the handle and then connect it to my trailer or a large tree. All this effort though only keeps honest people honest. Given the desire and time "they" will figure out how to steal it regardless of what we do. The AK-47 route is probably the only real security . . . but then a guard must be posted.

You are so right about keeping the honest people honest. Given enough time, I think the other group could and would figure out a way to get at it and steal it. Take care and stay safe pegmikef!

dave10a

My RV insurance covers generator theft. It is much safer than guns. Also if theft is a consideration buy a larger heavy generator rather than two that are easier to steal :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have a 4K watt genset that is chained in the truck bed. I made an extension cord to plug into the coach. It weighs about 80#. But as added protection...I carry a 1911 in the coach....and sorry non-gun folks, it does have a clip in at all times.

wdk450

When I was at a nearly empty COE campground earlier this year (no hookups) I was using my 3Kw Boily and felt self concious about the noise. I observed the one other trailer there using a Honda 2000 and the noise level was MUCH less. Also, the Honda 2000 was much lighter and thus much easier to set-up. To me, that would make the argument for the 2 Honda 2000's, using 1 only when A/C is not needed, running hot water and refrig on propane. This was in the Spring before Air Conditioning was needed.