Running The generator While Traveling

Rodbuster

Is it a good idea to run the generator while traveling?

Today was really hoy so I pulled into a rest area about 1 1/2 hours before our destination and started the generator and then turned on the living room AC. I stopped a couple of times to check on everything before I got to our destination. Everything seemed OK except that the compartment walls where the generator is located were quite hot. I realize that they would be hot, but just wondering if I could be doing harm to something that I'm not thinking of.

Any thoughts would put my mind at ease.

Thank you
Dick

danemayer

Dick, I've tried exactly the same idea to cool the RV before getting to our destination. Btw, I didn't think it worked well enough to do it a 2nd time. I've not observed any problems with the genny or other electrical components. I don't see any restriction in either the trailer manual or the generator manual regarding running the generator while towing. Most of the Onan warnings have to do with exhaust and avoiding things in contact with hot exhaust pipes. They also say "DON’T run your generator set with the door panel open." To me, that indicates that normal operation is with the access panels closed, which would apply whether in motion or stationary.

pegmikef

What is the real difference of running an Onan in a fiver or running an Onan in a Class A Motor home. They are both exhausted out of the coach. We rented one once and ran the generator off and on to cool the rest of the coach. Had no problems at all. I imagine the Class A folks do it all the time.

porthole

Retired
On the hot days I will stop about an hour or so therefrom CG and start the Genny and AC.
Don't see any issues with it. Like someone else posted, class A's use them all the time.

On our boat the Genny is fired up before we leave the dock and stays on until we are back and tied up.

jbeletti

I too have run the genny while traveling a few times.

A couple times, I used it to run both ACs in order to pre-cool the interior a bit. Like Dan, I felt the result was marginal. Maybe I didn't run it for long enough. On a full day of travel, once the interior temperature has equalized with the exterior temperature, it tanks a good while to bring it down. If I try this again, I will run the gen and ACs for maybe 2 hours to see if that is any better. If not - then for me, it's just too costly from a propane burn perspective.

Once, I used the genny to run the heat-pumps in the ACs. The RV I had at that time (Pinehurst) had 2 heat-pumps. It was cold out (low 40s) but not so cold that the heat-pumps would not produce heat. This worked out quite well. I probably ran it for an hour.

Somewhat related, I have accidentally run with the propane furnace on all day. Easy to do when you break camp and simply forget to turn the furnace off. So I answered the question of "can" you actually run with the furnace on. That said, I doubt it's recommended.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I too have run the genny while traveling a few times.

A couple times, I used it to run both ACs in order to pre-cool the interior a bit. Like Dan, I felt the result was marginal. Maybe I didn't run it for long enough. On a full day of travel, once the interior temperature has equalized with the exterior temperature, it tanks a good while to bring it down. If I try this again, I will run the gen and ACs for maybe 2 hours to see if that is any better. If not - then for me, it's just too costly from a propane burn perspective.

Once, I used the genny to run the heat-pumps in the ACs. The RV I had at that time (Pinehurst) had 2 heat-pumps. It was cold out (low 40s) but not so cold that the heat-pumps would not produce heat. This worked out quite well. I probably ran it for an hour.

Somewhat related, I have accidentally run with the propane furnace on all day. Easy to do when you break camp and simply forget to turn the furnace off. So I answered the question of "can" you actually run with the furnace on. That said, I doubt it's recommended.

A little off subject, but I accidently left the furnace on after working inside when I installed my EMS last winter. I think it probably ran out of propane in around a week. How long does 80lbs of propane last when the furnace is set to 65 and the outside temps are upper 30's during the day and mid 20's at night)? I do know that it cost apprx $55 to refill them around here.:rolleyes:

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
A little off subject, but I accidently left the furnace on after working inside when I installed my EMS last winter. I think it probably ran out of propane in around a week. How long does 80lbs of propane last when the furnace is set to 65 and the outside temps are upper 30's during the day and mid 20's at night)? I do know that it cost apprx $55 to refill them around here.:rolleyes:

80Lbs of propane contains approximately 1464000 btus.
A furnace that consumes 35,000 btus/hr would have a runtime of about 41 hours of "on" time from 80lbs of propane.

Using a quick, online, heating calculator, Assume that your trailer (8x30ft) required 8000 btus per hour to keep it at 65. Your propane would last maybe 183 hours (7.6 days) before you ran out. It may last longer or less depending on your insulation and furnace efficiency.