Damaged slam shut door

Our brand new Landmark has it's first hangar rash. While closing the bedroom slide the door on the left side of the 5er was open. I was in our bathroom when I heard a crunching sound. Bottom line is the door looks like it needs to be replaced. The door side of the hinge is broken the door latch opening is also broken. I was able to close the door and lock it so it's not like we are stranded. Now the question. Where can I get another door? Since I have a full paint I will also have to have it painted. Any help will be met with many thanks.

danemayer

Airplaneguy,

Sorry about the crunch. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 with your vin # and tell them what happened. The parts dep't can ship you a new door and associated parts. You'll probably have to get the door painted locally.

By the way, if you join the Owner's Club, you can get a 10% discount on parts purchases.

RollingHome

Sorry for your damage, I too heard the "crunch" once, except it was another type of damage... The slam door replacement is not that hard to do, matching the paint may be. Since it needs to be replaced may I suggest you use SS screws "IF" the OEM ones are steel (that will rust sooner or later). Maybe ask HL CS for suggestions on the painting.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You should have been given a paint scheme sheet or sticker when you purchased the RV. I also had touch up paint samples with the color codes on them. My paint numbers sticker was in the entry closet. Good luck with your repairs. I got some fairly minor damage (J-wrap dent, bottom rear cap edging split, and rubber residue marks) from a road alligator recently and am mulling over what to do about it (whether ot tackle it myself or take it to shop).

jbeletti

Airplaneguy,

We've done the same thing. The bottom slide fascia is bent and the one latch on the door is pushed into the door, crunching the fiberglass. Ours too is full body paint with more than one color needed and a design going through the door. I'll have mine fixed in Elkhart with Heartland replacing the door/facia and most likely, Heartland's paint contractor doing the repainting. A dealer or service center with a body/paint shop should be able to fix you up. Heartland Customer Service can likely recommend a shop in your area.

Good thing - like you, this is not a show stopper. We munched this door almost 2 months ago. RVing will go on and repairs will get done this winter.

brianharrison

Airplaneguy, Sorry to hear about your crunch as well. However you are in good company with Jim doing the same thing....;)

On a slightly different discussion - I am surprised the Off Door Side (ODS) slam door is upward opening, if this is what caused the interference of door and slide.

My 2011 Landmark GC has a forward opening ODS slam door (hinge on left) helping to prevent the door from being caught in the bedroom slide. That was a desgn feature that I REALLY liked when shopping for my current unit! I too, wrecked an upward openiing slam door in a previous unit. Jim - is this a design feature to add back in to the factory? Your thoughts? Or am I missing something here?

Brian

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I'm with you Brian. The left swinging door has saved me from having to order a new one on more than one occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have heard of this incident a few times with the newer LM's.

Has HL considered sending out retrofit door struts for affected customers, that would limit upward movement of that door?
(since it seems like an engineering oversight.) Trace

jbeletti

Has HL considered sending out retrofit door struts for affected customers, that would limit upward movement of that door?

Trace, to limit the upward travel of the door would significantly limit comfortable access to the UDC and storage space. For those of us 6 foot and taller, we'd bu hunched over all the time. Ugh!

The struts on this door are 2-stage. At stage 1, the door is open about 90 degrees or horizontal. At stage 2, the door is at maybe 270 degrees and up against the bedroom slide out (in the Key Largo anyway).

It's only in the stage 2 position that this can be problematic, then only if you run the slide in with the baggage door open (did it!).

In my opinion (and not that of Heartland - therefore very unofficial), there are 3 options here:
1. Personal diligence. Shut the baggage door before closing the slide and use stage 2 positioning sparingly and shut it when done.
2. A side-hinged door instead of a top hinged door
3. An interlock system where the slide cannot be operated unless the baggage door is closed

If I keep my current demo for another season, I plan to do option 3. I'll use a magnetic contact switch on the door and door frame. I'll use that circuit to break the circuit that controls the slide room.

brianharrison

Jim, just a suggestion - an indicating light at the slide switch would be a bit easier to wire. You would probable need a relayed circuit with the mag strip and slide circuit (different current ratings?). No direct interlock but an easier retrofit?

Brian

jbeletti

Hi Brian,

In my case, if I were to run a wire from the baggage door to the slide switch area, it would be the same amount of work to run that same wire to that same area for a light. I'd prefer to have the mag switch break the slide circuit.

I agree with you on the relay "if" I switch the load. But I may get lucky as in my case, the Landmark has a remote control system for the slides and a rocker switch for the slides. If I'm lucky, the rocker switch controls the relay and does not switch the load. I'd just break the circuit at the switch or relay. We shall see :)

rick_debbie_gallant

How about a simple sign by the switch!"MAKE SURE THE ODS BASEMENT DOOR IS CLOSED!!!!!!!" Or something to that effect. :cool:Make the sign on orange corplast with black lettering. And hang it over the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

How about a simple sign by the switch!"MAKE SURE THE ODS BASEMENT DOOR IS CLOSED!!!!!!!" Or something to that effect. :cool:Make the sign on orange corplast with black lettering. And hang it over the switch.

Great idea at first blush - but unfortunately, you don't realize the need for the sign until after you've replaced your first door.

I used to keep pipe insulation on the bottom of the slideout sidewall to protect my head. If you found the right material, that didn't keep things from closing properly, but still had enough strength to act as a deflector, maybe that would help. Click on the picture for a larger view.

Or maybe this will spur someone to think of a better idea.

Hatch deflector.jpg

rick_debbie_gallant

Great idea at first blush - but unfortunately, you don't realize the need for the sign until after you've replaced your first door.

I used to keep pipe insulation on the bottom of the slideout sidewall to protect my head. If you found the right material, that didn't keep things from closing properly, but still had enough strength to act as a deflector, maybe that would help. Click on the picture for a larger view.

Or maybe this will spur someone to think of a better idea.

View attachment 20380

Even though it has not happened to me YET, I will be making me a sign and placing it there tonight. I learn from others mishaps (sometimes that is)

rjr6150

Count me in as one of the door guys. Our local body shop came up removed the door matched the paint perfectly for only $150. When in Gillette for the rally they had a new LM there which had side mounted doors under the BR slide talking with Ryan Scott from HL indicated they were changing over to side hinge due to this. Sure JB would be able to confirm.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

A woman's point of view.....

DW say's I jumped the gun in calling this an "engineering oversight".

She say's it's operator error and no different than her forgetting to put a drawer in, somewhere in the interior "womans area" of the rig.

Yes dear, I hereby retract my statement. :) Trace

jbeletti

A woman's point of view.....

DW say's I jumped the gun in calling this an "engineering oversight".

She say's it's operator error and no different than her forgetting to put a drawer in, somewhere in the interior "womans area" of the rig.

Yes dear, I hereby retract my statement. :) Trace

Are you groveling? :) No worries Trace. Anything can be engineered better - even this door. But yeah, as with anything in life, personally diligence must be employed too. Just wish I was perfect - then I wouldn't have left that door all the way up.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have put a small noodle on my door now. After splitting it, I placed it in the area that will come in contact with the door. After experimenting with a towel, I found out that a small towel laid on top of the door and in between the door and the slide, will keep the slide from grabbing the lock and hence keeping it from damaging the door.