ATF: Edge - Edge M21 Construction Details Request

evolvingpowercat

Can I get some information about floor, walls, and roof regarding where the aluminum structural members are located in the 2011 Edge M21? I tried using a stud finder and I am not confident that it is telling me accurately where the members are.

I don't need exact drawings. Perhaps some factory photos of an Edge M21 floor, ceiling, and walls being built would tell me what I would like to know.

Thanks.

danemayer

People at the factory do look at the forum, but they may not see every post and may not be able to respond to a request like this.

Can you tell us what you're trying to do. Maybe another owner has done the same thing and can provide guidance.

evolvingpowercat

I just wanted to have the knowledge of how my Edge is built, is part of it. I am a engineer and a geek. I have all the service CDs for my cars, I fix TVs, etc. Just like to know how the things I own are built and work. :)

Now, here is the project that is starting up...

I have a 24" Long x 4" x 4" super well balanced and quiet 110 Volt two speed squirrel cage blower that weighs about 10 lbs I salvaged from a 25 year old Amana microwave oven. This thing is nice, built in the good days when things were made to last and not made out of crummy cheap plastic. I want to build a thin plywood enclosure with a screen protected air intake vent, and an outlet duct that directs the outflow up out about 1/4 of the width of the bathroom vent. Basically a custom "better than I can buy" ceiling fan. And, being in the bathroom it should be pretty quiet over on the bedroom side, in particular when on the low speed. My concept is that most of it would be above the medicine cabinet in my M21, except for the part on the exhaust side of the squirrel cage that moves the air out and blows it up into one side of the vent. I suspect the whole thing will end up weighing 20 lbs. I just wondered how the roof is supported so I could think thru how to support that much weight safely when it will be above my head in the trailer.

I was up on the ladder working on the fridge and looked at the roof, it is actually totally obvious where the roof joists are on my M21 as the way Heartland made the roof it sags slightly between each joist so the joists are easily spotted. However, it is not obvious at all where the wall joists and floor joists are, and I would like to know for reference. Thanks.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
On my rig, on a humid morning with dew, the location of the "studs" is easily seen, as the temperature differnece on the exterior wall changes the dew outline. Catch a morning like that and take a couple of pictures for future use. I know several forum members have used this technique.