New to me 2011 Edge M21 owner - refrigerator improvements to share

evolvingpowercat

Hi, I am the owner of new to me 2011 Edge M21. Latest discovery that I addressed to improve the performance of the refrigerator.

Tweak #1:

There was excess OEM gray spray foam behind the lower refrigerator vent cover, I would guess it was blocking 10% of the vent air flow area. Easy to fix, just carefully use a single edge razor blade or pocket knife to trim the spray foam so it does not block the vent. After I trimmed there was still a good weather seal, but there is a small chance that you might expose a gap after trimming and have to use a little caulk to maintan the weather proofing.

Also on the lower right side of the back of the fridge they had over sprayed and partially blocked the air flow around the heating element assembly on the back of the fridge. The spray foam on mine was actually against the heat element assembly on bottom and side which is against the mfgr's installation guidelines. I also carefully trimmed that so that there was at least 1" clearance between the spray foam and the fridge working parts.

Tweak #2:

I cleaned the coils, they were dirty. Clean coils transfer heat better. I used low pressure compressed air, but the RV fridge coil cleaning brushes would work for those without compressed air. Air works good to shove out any spider webs, etc in that space between the top vent and bottom vent you can't easily get to. Just don't get rambuncus with the compressed air. In particular don't do direct shots of high pressure air at anything on the back of the fridge in the lower half.

Tweak #3, not as easy or needed...

I pulled the top vent cover and noticed that there was a dead air space above the upper vent. Engineering wise you want a nice C shape with the vent at the bottom and top of the C so that you don't get turbulence that reduces the optimal air flow. Now the vents are nice and big on the Edge so this is not that big of a deal. But I noticed that this heats up the storage shelf on top of the fridge, it is quite warm if you put your hand on the back of it, so I decided to tweak :)

I securely attached layers of insulation board with construction adhesive to fill that space so that now that air space is filled and the air rising has to turn and go right out the vent rather than rise to that dead space and have to swirl around and then finally flow back down and out the vent. If you do this securely attach it, you don't want what you put up there falling down and blocking the air flow around the evaporator coil at the top of the frige.