New Wall Decoration

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This is the preliminary photo of the wall hanging we commissioned the CG owner's son to make for us. He had some other plaques in the office with only Mullett or Burt Lake on them, as well as one with both at a local restaurant. So I gave him a scan of a coaster we have with the Inland Waterway on it and this is what he said he could do. Still needs to have the lakes tinted blue and the top coat applied. Does this as a side hobby with his homemade CNC router set up. The detail is actually the topographical contour of the lakes. It's going to hang over the door of the rig.

View attachment 20393

Dave49

John I may be up in that area today looking into a campground for extended stays. Do you know anything about the fishing on that Inland Waterway? Or anything about the Waterways Campground that is listed in the Woodalls book?

Thanks
Dave

JohnDar

John I may be up in that area today looking into a campground for extended stays. Do you know anything about the fishing on that Inland Waterway? Or anything about the Waterways Campground that is listed in the Woodalls book?

Thanks
Dave

Dave,
Fishing on the Inland Waterways can be good, but they don't just go kamikaze and jump in the boat (no Asian carp, anyways). Small mouth bass and walleye are the major players, along with northern pike and perch. Might even find some trout. No panfish that I've ever seen. I'm kind of a lazy fisherman, so I don't haul them in consistently. Zebra mussels have invaded the lakes, too.

I've only seen the Waterways Campground from the Cheboygan River. Not real big or many trees, but it does sit on the river. Not sure if they have full hookups or not. We stay (seasonal site) at the Indian River RV Resort & Campground on M-27, just south of Topinabee. Not on the water, but full hookups, clean and well maintained. Might be considered a tad pricey by some, but we like it.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What a gifted young man. Love seeing natural tallent. Congratulate him on a great job.

JohnDar

When I get the chance, I'll ask if he takes orders from out of state, etc. If I understood correctly, he's an electrical inspector for a nearby county. You can buy CNC router set ups for many $$, but I've only read of a couple of woodworkers (other forums I haunt) that have built their own. As I understand it, if you can get the picture into the computer, the machine can rout it out. The picture I gave him was a topographical map from a 4x4 drink coaster that I scanned.

JohnDar

John, thanks for posting the link. I've clipped a copy of the website to Evernote to keep for future reference.

Cool! Kevin delivered the plaque this morning and it looks identical to the earlier photo I posted (we opted not to blue tint the lakes). A real thing of beauty it is, but unfortunately it's too heavy to mount on the wall of the trailer. I was kind of figuring that, so we've got a perfect place at home for it in the foyer over the dining room door. The wife has seen some smaller (and cheaper) renditions in Mackinaw City, so we'll go up and have another look for the trailer.

I'll be sending him a photo of our FD shoulder patch to make a plaque from later to go on my "ILM" wall at home next to my USAF FD emblem. And he appreciated me putting his website on the forum.

7/29/12: FWIW, that plaque weighs 10 lbs., so it's now hanging over the door into my den (location decided by SWMBO) on a hanger designed for 30 lbs. We did find a much smaller/lighter rendition at a Mackinaw City shop for the trailer.

Last edited: