Connecting the TV to Aux. outlets

wingfoot

I read somewhere that you could connect your TV to the DVD player to utilize the speakers on Auxiliary via the DVD player for better sound and volume quality. Our volume on the TV only is lacking, particularly when the RAC is running...anyone done this and is it worth considering. I don't know exactly how I'm going to be able to get to the back of the TV. Just for edification, my BH is a 3400RE with a 42" which could be a problem trying to access the back of the TV...
Any help/suggestions appreciated..

danemayer

Hi Larry,

It should be possible, and maybe not very difficult. It all comes down to what kind of cable is needed. If you're lucky, all it takes is a stereo cable with RCA phono connectors (Red/White) on each end. Until recently most TVs had RCA Phono outputs connectors. There's a very good chance the DVD/Surround Sound also uses RCA Phono connectors for AUX inputs.

If your TV doesn't have this type of output connector, it may have a headphone connector. Again, assuming the surround sound has RCA Phono connectors for the AUX input, you'd use a cable like this.

The cables aren't very expensive and can be found at a wide variety of stores - maybe even at the drugstore. Certainly at Best Buy and Radio Shack. Don't waste money on high-priced audio cables. Cheap ones work fine.

You can probably check the user manuals for the equipment to see what kind of inputs and outputs they have, before you starting taking things apart to get to the back of the units. If you don't have them, you can usually download them from the manufacturer's website. They'll be listed by model #.

Newer equipment is moving to Optical Audio Cables, but unless the equipment is less than 18 months old, yours probably has RCA connectors.

Here's a diagram that reflects all of my connections. clicking on the picture a couple of times will get you a large version. If you don't have satellite, ignore those connections.

Attachments

• Rushmore Entertainment Center Wiring.jpg
    Rushmore Entertainment Center Wiring.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 69