Route to Door County Wisconsin

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
We are planning our trip to Door County next month and was wondering about 2 different routes. We will be entering at Beloit from the south. One route would be to take I-43 to Milwaukee and then up to Green Bay. Had concerns about driving thought the metro area. The other route is to go up I-90 to Madison and then take hwy151 to Fond du Lac, Appleton and Green Bay. Looks like the distance would be about the same. Would appreciate any suggestions on which would be best route.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on what time of day you plan on going through Milwaukee, I would take I-43. It is the shortest route.
Just don't make it during rush hour.

Peace
Dave

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
The 151 route is more scenic and easily traveled. I think it's just gonna be your preference - a little bit longer route (151) or a much heavier traffic route (43). I, personally, would take 151 as I enjoy the views along it over the other route.

If you haven't yet been to Door County you're in for a treat! It's kind of like stepping back in time. Much slower passed and tranquil. It's one of our favorite places! Lots and lots to see and do if you need ideas...let me know! Enjoy!

Peteandsharon

We have taken the route through the Milwaukee area several times with no problems. Like many places, you want to avoid rush hour but that is not difficult to do. By the way, you will love Door County and if you haven't already committed to a campsite, Wagon Trail campground in Ellison Bay is wonderful. Peaceful, scenic, excellent campsites and well maintained. Highly recommend it.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
Door county is beautiful, must see the winerys, lighthouses, but don't stay at kewaunee vilage rv park. None
of the sights are level and the owner is a jerk. Called us on our phone after we left and accused us of taking
pressure control nozzle off water spicket and I told him we would not do that, said we were lying and charged 15.00 to cc on file.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The Cana Island Lighthouse is our favorite! It has a causeway that you have to walk over, but its not a real hard walk. Kelly and I take a picnic lunch and eat out by the lake. Very peaceful and enjoyable.