Dometic Refrigerator

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
The refrigerator in our new Landmark will not get cold enough. The slide on the cooling fins is all the way to the top and if I move it down it seems to get warmer. Any suggestions?

Don

Forrest Fetherolf

Don,

There are many reasons why the refrig will not maintain 30 to 40 deg temp. First, read the manual for trouble shooting, if none apply, inadequate venting may be the cause. Mine was not cooling below 40 deg, the fuse for the two cooling fans was blown. You may or not have cooling fans, if not, I would recommend installing fans to increase the air flow over the cooling fins.

Read my post three day ago with the heading "refrigerator not cooling." I had photos attached and explained the fuses.

Forrest

jbeletti

Don,

If your refer is not in a slide-out, you likely do not have fans. But I agree with Forrest, the addition of fans would be a great idea. Somewhere online I saw a setup that replaces the refer roof vent cap with a new one that has fans in it and a solar panel on it. Or something like that.

After reading your refer manual, be sure to understand proper use of the Low Ambient and Climate switches that are on your refer and use them accordingly.

I don't have a manual handy but here's link to an article that somewhat explains these switches.

Jim

madigand

Jim,
Thanks for the link. I am curious as my icemaker supply line broke. Is the ambient switch in the on position in the o position?

Don;
I had problems with ours not getting cold also, a tech told me to move the plastic clip 5 fins in from the end. He said it should drop 2deg. per fin upto 5 fins. He also said that the thermistor is marginly good and if I had any more problem to replace it. He showed me how to do it and I got one at campers world foe $13.
It went bad this week, it leaked all of the ammona out and really smelled bad in the camper. I called Dometic, they said it would need a new cooling unit and would send it by fright and gave me a local rv shop that could repair it I told them I was fulltime and had reservations at campgrounds out west but they did not care. I called Walch RV Sales who was very nice and said he would order it that day. When thay called Dometic they were told that they would not take the customer's word and he would need to check the camper for ammona smell before he could order it. Thay shipped it by fright to upper Michigan on 7/5. The local dealer and I both tried to get them to replace the whole refig. because some of the time when they replace the cooling unit the plastic inside will crack. They would not do it.

It looks like the don't realy care about the custoner.

johnrb1967

Big John
don

i recently had the same problem with the frig in my grand canyon.the slide on my cooling fins was all the way at the top so i moved it down it down about half way.i let it sit a couple days and it seemed to be a little cooler.i moved it once more almost to the bottom of the cooling fins and now it really does a good job.

john