Not in 4 wheel drive.

traveler44

I had an experience today where I switched the F350 into 4 wheel low. The light came on saying 4x4 so I thought it was in 4 wheel low. I found out later that there is another light that comes on that says LOW RANGE and if this light isn't on then it really isn't in 4 wheel low. Once it is in 4 wheel low you can feel it really lug down-- kind of like driving a tank. Sometimes I have had to shift between drive-reverse and neutral to get the 4x4 light to go out but I didn't know I had to do this to get into low range until today.

brianharrison

To get in and out of 4x4 Low, transmission needs to be in neutral, foot on the brake, and stopped. Safety interlocks. 4x4 high can be shifted in park or drive, not sure if there is a speed limitation to prevent shifting - I usually only shift when stopped.

Brian

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Don't have my owners manual sitting near me but I thing you can shift into 4x4 high up to around 40mph. I've never done it over 10 or 15 mph though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My Chevy has to be stopped and in neutral or park before it will shift into 4W low. I bet the big 3 are all the same. I bet ya, that if the trans and front diff let it go into 4W low at any speed, it would probably stuff you thru the windshield or worse, drop the driveline.

traveler44

My wife always says that I never read the instructions. I finally read the owners manual last night and it says to shift into 4-LOW I should have stopped-shifted into neutral with my foot on the brake and then switched into 4-LOW, it sometimes takes up to 15 seconds to engage. I have to-stop-neutral-brake for it to disengage too. It says I can shift in to 4-HIGH anywhere between 5-mph and 55mph. I am going to go out and play around with it and see if it is working properly. I have a feeling that I just didn't know what I was doing.

RollingHome

traveler44, I am 60 YO, I've had 4 WD drive trucks 25 years or more... I've had to use 4 WD Low about 5 times in those 25 years ... are you sure you needed 4 WD Low ? Just asking.

jnbhobe

Hey Tom, Mary is right, its shifted just like she said. I do go into high range at any speed. I use low range every time I go to my camp, Its uphill backwards and on the blind side, you have a lot more control in low range and can just about idle where ever you need to go.

Crumgater

We were told to use 4WD LOW when backing up a hill pushing the RV.... keeps the tranny cooler.
That was AFTER we blew our tranny on the old F250 gasser we had.

TXTiger

I was told, by the Ford salesman when I bought my 2012 F-350, that Chevy's must be at a full stop to shift into 4X4 but Fords can shift on the fly? Not sure if this is correct. I have shifted into 4 high while slowly rolling but have not used 4 low yet. I think I would still be at a complete stop before shifting into 4 low.

GOTTOYS

Be sure you are not moving when shifting any truck into 4wd Lo. Sometimes it can be hard to get it to shift out of 4wd Lo. Best solution is to get it rolling, then shift your regular transmission in neutral while it's moving. Then shift you transfer case into 4wd High or 2wd, whichever you prefer, while rolling in neutral. This will prevent a bind on the drive line and it will shift out of Low range easily...Don

lwmcguir

Be sure you are not moving when shifting any truck into 4wd Lo. Sometimes it can be hard to get it to shift out of 4wd Lo. Best solution is to get it rolling, then shift your regular transmission in neutral while it's moving. Then shift you transfer case into 4wd High or 2wd, whichever you prefer, while rolling in neutral. This will prevent a bind on the drive line and it will shift out of Low range easily...Don
you have to be below 3 mph for any low transfer shifting. You can shift into high 4 wheel drive at any time. Just let off the fuel.

caissiel

I always us 4 low with manual hubs unlocked. Its realy hard on the drive train to use it when front hubs locked on hard surfaces. I have jammed the truck once when turning and hubs locked by mistake. I could not move either way onpavement with my 1/4 ton ranger standart tranny also.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapat

porthole

Retired
We were told to use 4WD LOW when backing up a hill pushing the RV.... keeps the tranny cooler.
That was AFTER we blew our tranny on the old F250 gasser we had.

The real reason is typically auto trans have fewer clutches in the sections that make the trans reverse. Fewer clutches, maybe less steel and lower operating pressures put more of a load on the trans in reverse when you load the truck.

So, not using 4 wheel low pushing a 12K or more trailer up a hill in reverse may not harm the trans. But using the low will certainly let the truck work a lot easier, and it won't hurt the vehicle.
Now, that said, the trucks with the Ford type axles can really start jumping around when the you start doing some tight turns.

If you don't need the 4WD, only the low range, on the 2011 and newer Fords you can pull the fuse (under the hood) to prevent the auto hubs from locking.

If possible, you should avoid tight turns on hard ground when in either 4WD high or 4WD low. The GM independent suspension is a bit more adept at tight turns in 4WD

I was told, by the Ford salesman when I bought my 2012 F-350, that Chevy's must be at a full stop to shift into 4X4 but Fords can shift on the fly? Not sure if this is correct. I have shifted into 4 high while slowly rolling but have not used 4 low yet. I think I would still be at a complete stop before shifting into 4 low.

The 2011+ Fords are computer controlled. 2WD to 4WD high can be done at any speed, in or out. I typically will jump to 4WD when running into heavy rain. Forcing the front wheels to "drive" helps prevent hydroplaning.

4WD high to low range shifting can be done at low speeds, but the computer will not let the trans shift until safe, usually giving you a dash warning saying stop or shift to neutral.
ATC is turned off in the low range.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The real reason is typically auto trans have fewer clutches in the sections that make the trans reverse. Fewer clutches, maybe less steel and lower operating pressures put more of a load on the trans in reverse when you load the truck.

So, not using 4 wheel low pushing a 12K or more trailer up a hill in reverse may not harm the trans. But using the low will certainly let the truck work a lot easier, and it won't hurt the vehicle.
Now, that said, the trucks with the Ford type axles can really start jumping around when the you start doing some tight turns.

If you don't need the 4WD, only the low range, on the 2011 and newer Fords you can pull the fuse (under the hood) to prevent the auto hubs from locking.

If possible, you should avoid tight turns on hard ground when in either 4WD high or 4WD low. The GM independent suspension is a bit more adept at tight turns in 4WD

The 2011+ Fords are computer controlled. 2WD to 4WD high can be done at any speed, in or out. I typilly will jumpy yo 4WD when running into heavy rain. Forcing the front wheels to "drive" helps prevent hydroplaning.

4WD high to low range shifting can be done at low speeds, but the computer will not let the trans shift until safe, usually giving you a dash warning saying stop or shift to neutral.
ATC is turned off in the low range.

Dont mean to contradict you but hydroplaning is a function of speed and water under the tires. The sure way to prevent it is to drive at a slower speed. As a former LEO driving instructor if you are hydroplaning you lose the ability to steer or control the vehicle. The was to quit hydroplaning is to reduce your speed. I suppose theoretically it would be possible to slightly increase the speed at which you would hydroplane by going into all wheel drive, but it really shouldn't make that much difference. Test it out in a really large parking lot on an extremely wet day. Just don't want anyone thinking they can no worry about hydroplaning by shifting into all wheel drive.

porthole

Retired
Jim - I was a bit simplistic with my use. My shifting to 4WD is to prevent the front tires from slowing in rotation and causing the "jump" when traction is regained. I know the the water has to be shed.
I think it works particularly well when hitting standing water at highway speeds.