Another tow vehicle question. Thank you in advance

Trailer_Joe

Ive got a 2005 Jeep Liberty with a 2.8 liter Common rail turbo diesel in it. She rates out at 365 foot pounds of torque and has a five speed auto transmission with a stronger after market torque converter.

The truck has a tow package and is rated at 5000lbs. Im looking at a used Heartland Edge M18 (2785lbs empty) or a new Heartland MPG 180 2574lbs. My issue are the tongue weights. The edge has a 220lb weight and the MPG
has a 312lb tongue weight. Ive not hauled much and Im concerned with the extra weight on the back of the truck.

Can I get some opinions as to whether Im concerned for nothing, or whether my concerns are valid?

Thank you.

Tom

jimtoo

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. You will find lots of good information and lots of great people here.

I'm sure you will get some answers soon from other members.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The tongue weight shouldnt be an issue, and loaded you should be under 4000lbs.
Did you beef up the engine with a tuner?......I think stock stats on that engine is 160 hp.,295tq.

Trailer_Joe

The tongue weight shouldnt be an issue, and loaded you should be under 4000lbs.
Did you beef up the engine with a tuner?......I think stock stats on that engine is 160 hp.,295tq.

Yes. I have a Green Diesel Engineering Hot engine tune and their trans tune as well. I have a Suncoast torque converter and an Transo shift kit. The truck has tons of power and Im getting mid 30's MPG on the highway with her too. So you dont think the tongue weight difference will mean much? I was thinking with the dual rear tires and less weight the Edge might travel better. Then again Im not familiar with how a trailer hauls and turns with two vs. four wheels.

Thanks everyone.

GOTTOYS

When towing either of those trailers I would suggest a weight distributing hitch. This will effectively transfer some of the tongue weight to the front of your Jeep. They will also have an anti sway feature either built in or as an attachment. This feature is also essential for towing with such a short wheelbase vehicle..JMHO..Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with GOTTOYS, with your short wheel base and 350 to 400 lbs on the tongue, you should use a weight distributing hitch. Otherwise I think you're in good shape with towing capacities.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Good mods!
A 500-750lbs weight distributing hitch should help put some weight on the front end. A low cost friction type sway bar will help too.
The only possible weak link I see is your rear axle, climbing hills or a strong headwind can overheat an differential.....I wonder if a oversized cooling diff. cover is made for the Jeep?