how do I remove pleated blinds in coach

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
Guys and Girls;
We have just received our new MCD blinds for the coach. Easy to install with instructions. But how do you get the old pleated blinds off. Don't want to make any more work than I have to, and certainly don't want to damage valences or lamberkins

bobber

Unfortunately you do have to remove the valances and lamberkins. The pleated blinds are screwed into the wall. I took mine down to put shrink plastic on some windows and it was definately a job. Good luck and let me know how your blinds are. I may change ours.

RoadJunkie

I just took off a set of pleated blinds to repair a broken cord. My--rather small window--had two screws (square head) that were screwed into the wall. I used a small flat ratchet that accommodates a hex bit with the square blade required to fit the screw head. I'm sure you have seen these little wrenches: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...d=-1&keyword=rachet+screwdriver&storeId=10051

I had to feel behind the valence and even used a fiber optic camera to confirm the screws were square head. The heads on my screws were recessed beyond the fabric, so they were a little hard to locate.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Actually, removing the valance and lamberkins isn't all that bad. If the valance is under an overhead cabinet, the screws go up into the bottom of the cabinet. Some have a screw hidden in the corners of the valance and the lower corners of the lamberkin under a fold in the fabric. All you should need is a square #2 bit and a power screwdriver. Or a basic #2 screwdriver. You can feel for the screw heads with a finger to find them. The header for the shades is screwed to the wall above the window frame.
The original mounting instructions should have been to use a snap in bracket but Heartland didn't do them that way.

MICKEY

It wasn't hard to get to them once I got a little help from the forum. I will probably have to reinforce one valence where it didn't rest under a cabinet, to hold the weight of the MCD shade, since they have to mount to top of valence. I'll keep everyone advised.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It wasn't hard to get to them once I got a little help from the forum. I will probably have to reinforce one valence where it didn't rest under a cabinet, to hold the weight of the MCD shade, since they have to mount to top of valence. I'll keep everyone advised.

Mickey, maybe a modified version of THESE would be good to mount the MCD shade header and serve double duty by holding up the valance. By the way, what is an MCD shade?

MICKEY

Ray;

MCD shades are found in some class A's and are options in some more expensive 5er's. They are the old shades we remember from our childhood that pull down and lock in position and then retract when pulled again; only updated with adjustable stops, newer materials, and day night shades. The install so far has been FAIRLY easy. They mount to top of valence and gets pretty tight and frustrating on the big ones. Two rolls of material per window. One afternoon got entire living room, dining room, and kitchen done. Bedroom is little different challenge. I may end up making my own valences instead of curtan rods to make mounting consistent.
Jim I should make a few pics to show how its done.

hillsonwheels

Or...............at least post pictures of the finished project! :rolleyes: Unless that four letter word....................work...............is getting in the way? :confused:

donr827

If Mickey would like to have a demonstration on how to install the MCD shades I will volunteer my trailer.;)
Don