BigHorn purchase

bunnie1203

Hi all,

New here, wanted to say hello.

I have been looking at purchasing the Bighorn 3600RL
or the 3670RL.

Love the Landmark, but almost twice the price?? Is this really the deal? Are they worth it?

Any comments welcome.

Ours will sit in a permanent spot in Montana.

Diane

jpmorgan37

Diane;
It all depends on what you are looking for and what you plan to do. We looked at the Bighorn and the Landmark. We wanted a coach that fit our needs for fulltiming and the floorplans and storage of the Grand Canyon suited our needs. There were some features in the Landmark that the Bighorn didn't have two years ago. That's why we chose the Grand Canyon. Our taste are different from others and you have to make the decision on what will best suit your needs.

John

HappyKayakers

We also looked at the Landmark at the Tampa RV show but thought it was too expensive for us. Wound up with an '06 3600RL. We've been fulltiming in it since last April and fairly happy with it. Some problems but nowhere near the problems of some others. Some of those problems, like road water infiltrating a slide, you might not even discover if you're stationary.

gawelsh

We love our Landmark - you can get some really good deals, especially on NEW left-overs sitting on dealer lots. We ordered ours and still got a heck of a deal - we had a price in mind and almost stuck to it (those darn options;)

Anyway, regardless of what Heartland product you get, I think you'll love it....they're gorgeous and comfy and are just a pleasure to spend time in. Get dual pane windows and consider a 2nd AC in the bedroom, just to maximize your climate control in hot or cold weather.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
We agree that it is a personal decision. We looked at the Bighorn, but could never make ourselves happy with it after seeing the Landmark. We picked our new Landmark up last week. Take your time and find the right unit for you.

Tom of Ypsi

We have had our Landmark, Mt Rushmore for 2 1/2 years. Yes we have had problems but I can attest to the fact that Heartland is one of the best RV manufacturers around. If you are wanting a Landmark then get one that way you will not be saying "I wish I had bought the Landmark". If money is an object than a Big Horn is the one for you and far and away better than any other RV in that price range. Good Luck in your search.

bunnie1203

Thank you all. I so appreciate your comments. We will have it delivered in the middle of Montana, in the middle of nowhere, an hour from the nearest town. I want it to be right. May have to spend the extra for the landmark.
Can I ask what you paid for your landmark and your bighorn? A quote for the bighorn was $******?
Thanks a bunch
Diane

The price was edited by Moderator according to the rules of the forum set forth by Admin
John

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Hi all,

Thanks for chiming in to help Diane out. Please feel free to PM or email Diane through the forum (just click on her username) with pricing if you wish to share. I'll do the same.

Thanks,

Jim

beader

road water coming inside

HappyKayakers said:
We also looked at the Landmark at the Tampa RV show but thought it was too expensive for us. Wound up with an '06 3600RL. We've been fulltiming in it since last April and fairly happy with it. Some problems but nowhere near the problems of some others. Some of those problems, like road water infiltrating a slide, you might not even discover if you're stationary.
My first time here so hope I am doing this right. We also found there is a problem with air/water gaps around the bottom of the slides. Have you found a way to fix this? When we purchased our Bighorn, the dealer's tech worked on it and it appeared to be fixed, but isn't. I'd be interested to know if you found a solution to this problem.

jpmorgan37

Beader;

The factory came up with a fix for this problem. Most of the problems were on '05's and '06's. They installed a new seal at the front of slide where the water was coming in. Have your dealer contact Jim Fenner in the Customer Service Department at Heartland and Jim will give them instructions on doing the repair and advise them on what parts to order. They fixed mine and I've had no reoccuring problems since then.

John

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
We just bought the Bighorn 3670rl for fulltiming. We may go to the Landmark Augusta in a few years but it would be primarily for the bathroom with the large vanity in it, lol. The kitchen in our 3670rl is what sold us on this model.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Welcome to the Heartland Family. I'm sure you'll enjoy your 3670. Which, by the way, came out a few months after we ordered our 3400. We've had our Bighorn for over a year now and have NO regrets.

Big Horn or Landmark?

Bunnie,
We ordered our BH 3670RL and it should get here in a few weeks. We too were torn on whether to go for the Landmark Augusta (same floor plan as the 3670RL) and decided to stay with the Big Horn. The cost difference was about $10,000.00 (more or less) and the quality of construction is the same so we went Big Horn. We stopped at a Camping World store in Katy, Texas (west of Houston) this past weekend and they had a Landmark Augusta set up in their indoor showroom so we checked it out. You really have to see this trailer in person to get a good basis for comparison.
Here's what we found when comparing the Landmark Augusta and the Big Horn 3670RL.
  • The Landmark is a very elegant and upscale unit, but if you didn't know that it existed you would think that the Big Horn was Heartland's top of the line.
  • We are getting the 14 cu ft side by side refrigerator in our new BH and the Landmark comes with a 4 door unit - two freezer doors on top & two refrigerator doors below that. We prefer the side by side in the BH. 'Just our personal preference.
  • In the Landmark you will lose the overhead cabinets above the dinette as well as the larger cabinet to the rear of that. I don't know why, but it's not there.
  • You also lose some overhead cabinets in the bedroom of the Landmark because of the different configuration of the door where the washer/drier are housed. The cabinets interfere with the door operation so they just deleted them.
  • One of the differences in the Landmark interior is that there is wood trim around the window housings and the lights are fancier. 'Nice, but worth the money?
  • On the outside - the door side access to the basement storeage compartment as well as the compartment itsself are smaller on the Landmark because of an additional compartment to the rear that houses the battery and also has a deep void space presumably for more storeage. You may actually have the same amount of space, but why have the space divided?
  • The electric awning seems nice and we actually talked to Ray at the factory and asked him if we could add it to our Big Horn. He said that we could and it would cost an additional $650.00. We decided against that because the awning doesn't have a feature that automatically retracts the awning in high winds. I thought that was the main reason for having an electric awning.
OK, that's all for now. We were fortunate to see the Landmark in person because it reinforced our decision that the Big Horn is plenty upscale for us. Don't get me wrong - the Landmark is a beautiful rig and it may be worth the extra money to you. If fact, I'm sure it's a very good deal for what you get. It's just that we decided that for the money the BH was plenty for us.
Please feel free to email or PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Warren