Antenna Tek Replacement

Bob Vaughn

I want to replace our Antenna Tek antenna with a Jack antenna. I get the heebeejeebes thinking about taking the old antenna off to put the new one on. Is there any that I should be aware of before I start this project? I just do not want to have a leak in my ceiling......Plus any electrical problems I may encounter?

jbeletti

Bob - what you are proposing is a simple head replacement. So you won't be doing anything to your roof other than walking on it. Download the Jack Antenna manual and read through that to get a better sense of what you're getting into, before you buy it, to make sure you're up for it. That said, many have done so and I know you'll get some feedback from those who have been there/done that.

DougAndJudy

Bob,

I just replaced my stock antenna woith a Jack about 3 weeks ago. The hardest part about it was getting up and down the rear ladder. Once there, it takes about 5 minutes.

Put bracket on Jack head.

Raise antenna.

Climb onto roof.

Disconnect coax.

Remove clips from pins holding stock head. Pull pins.

Remove old head.

Reverse steps with new head.

Voila!

Bob Vaughn

I am replacing the whole thing, not just the head. I want to be able to no longer have to raise the batwing.....

CactusTwo

Get some grey butyl tape, might come in kit, a tube of Dicor self leveling caulk, the screwdriver for the Jack screws and a drill to pre drill new holes. Once old batwing is removed caulk old screwholes over even if they may be covered by the Jack base. Follow the EASY instructions for direction and DON"T be stingy with the caulk, over the screws, around the base, use a lot of caulk. The only one seeing it will be low flying planes and I think they other things to worry about;)

Niles

We replaced ours and it is a world of difference, better reception and a lot easier to locate signal. I replaced the whole thing, it isn't too bad, getting the old chalking off is the worst part of the project. You will most likely have to drill out the hole just a little, however the base inside the camper will cover all the hole without much trouble. Dick, the jack has a signal meter built into it and you just turn it till you get the most blue lights, and as a bonus you don't have to crank it up or forget to crank it down, it isn't any taller than you're air conditioner. Good luck in your project, you'll like it when done. Oh by the way anyone know somebody that needs a used batwing?;)

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I too have replaced my head with a JACK antenna. Unfortunately I must be the only person who has not seen any significant difference in the quality of the signal. I did however purchase the signal meter and I really like that alot but I wish I was seeing the huge improvement that most are seeing.

Mark

danemayer

I too have replaced my head with a JACK antenna. Unfortunately I must be the only person who has not seen any significant difference in the quality of the signal. I did however purchase the signal meter and I really like that alot but I wish I was seeing the huge improvement that most are seeing.

Mark

Mark, there's a connector in the roof that splices the coax from the rooftop to the coax going to the signal booster. If it's loose or corroded, or has bad crimps, that could be the weak link that is limiting improvement. If you remove the antenna crank handle, and push the coax down from the roof an inch or two, you should be able to fish the connector out from the crank handle opening.

jbeletti

Mark, there's a connector in the roof that splices the coax from the rooftop to the coax going to the signal booster. If it's loose or corroded, or has bad crimps, that could be the weak link that is limiting improvement. If you remove the antenna crank handle, and push the coax down from the roof an inch or two, you should be able to fish the connector out from the crank handle opening.

Great point Dan!

Let me share an observation I made in Gillette. I saw an antenna that was removed by the service team and saw that piece of coax and the splice in the line. I have to say, the coax were really bent to the point where it affects its impedance. My guess is that was the problem, not the antenna itself. But, service had the antenna off, had brought a new one with, so they just replaced it and took care in doing so.

For those who don't know, coax for TV signals has an electrical impedance of 75 ohms. This impedance if critical for optimal propagation of TV signal to flow through it. When TV coax is crimped, smashed, bent, minimum bend radius exceeded etc., signal level and quality will be affected. Typical symptoms are ghosting/double images and signal attenuation.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you must put a tight bend in a coax cable, like connecting to the back of the receiver in the cabinet, purchase a 90-deg. adapter for it. Available at Radio Shack, et. al.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Curious.........What are the advantages of the Jack antenna?
Dick, I don't know if the signal is that much of an improvement but from what I've read, the beam reception is wider. In other words, you don't have to be as exact when hunting for a signal. If you do the entire Jack system, it includes a signal strength meter. I plan on replacing just the head this fall.

Bob Vaughn

My Jack antenna arrived today so as soon as my wife if finished with my extension ladder I will get up there and begin the scary part of this project.....

hillsonwheels

Ray, Sounds like the way to go. I need to reach out for more info on that antenna. Might consider doing what you are. All it takes is $$$$$$$$$$$.:p

Bob Vaughn

I have been thinking of doing this for quiet a while. The thing that made me do it was when we were visiting our friends up in Pensacola and I parked next to their house. After I got all set up I looked up which I always do prior to putting up our antenna and there was the electric service wire going into his house right above the antenna. Thus no raising the antenna. All the transmission towers were in the opposite direction from the way the antenna was facing as it lay on the roof. Our reception was very limited....The other deciding factor was another of our friends have their fifth wheel parked in their rv port. Their grandkids used it for a sleep over and unbeknown to the grandparents the kids cranked the antenna up part way. So when they went to pull the 5th wheel out of the rv port it bent the batwing. Plus the signal strength meter on the complete unit made up my mind. No more running up and down the steps to see if the picture inproved.

Bob Vaughn

Dick (Hillsonwheels) you are not kidding me, you have money you have not spent yet, we saw a sign that said "We are spending our children's inheritance" and that is what we plan to do.....

hillsonwheels

Well, I've had the Jack antenna kit for a while. Was getting ready for the install when the "creeping crud" jumped all over me! Can't take a breath without coughing my head off!

Question for Bob....did you replace the antenna booster with the one supplied...or did you just hook up coax at the antenna? I have mine open for inspection and to me they look pretty much same/same.

Thanks for any info provided.

A questio
n came to mind upon edit...is there a new booster supplied with just the head replacement? If not, my original query goes away...I think???

Dick

Last edited:

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Dick, there is an amplifier that comes with just the head replacement. Do not use it! Just use the new head and screw on the existing coax to the new head.

And double check the coax fitting above the crank handle. Must be a common thing to leave it loose.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2