Ceiling Fans

scottyb

Before I decided to buy a toy hauler, I looked at a lot of 5th wheels. Seems like most of them have ceiling fans, but hardly any toy haulers have them. I love them and would like to install one at some point. I assume there is no pre-wiring for one and it would be a chore. Anybody have experience with this?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing you could do is call the factory and ask if they would install a ceiling fan during the build.
That could happen if they are not in a busy producttion crunch.
But you wont know till you ask.

Peace
Dave

scottyb

My 4100 is already built and in-stock. I will pick it up this week if I can get my hitch installed and my trees trimmed along my drive way.

RoadJunkie

Scott, we had a ceiling fan in our rig and, to tell the truth, it didn't seem to move a lot of air. I replaced it with a "more attractive" fan, but even at the highest speed it doesn't move much air. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I thought you may want to consider other options, such as a floor fan, that would certainly move more air.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Scott, we had a ceiling fan in our rig and, to tell the truth, it didn't seem to move a lot of air. I replaced it with a "more attractive" fan, but even at the highest speed it doesn't move much air. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I thought you may want to consider other options, such as a floor fan, that would certainly move more air.

Solved that problem with a residential, five blade, 52" ceiling fan that "hugs" the ceiling....moves lots of air and clears the slide just enough.

dalspot

We replaced our factory-installed ceiling hugger style fan with a fan on a downrod from Lowes. BIG Difference in the air. I have to keep it on low when using the stove or it'll blow the flame out. We check it periodically and it is still mounted as tightly as when it was first installed. And it's got a lot nicer light on it too. The factory installed fans are just too close to the ceiling to do much good. I think any sway is absorbed by the downrod and not putting a lot of strain on the mount.

Karen

jbeletti

Before swapping out the factory fan or adding one where there isn't one, carefully measure the distance from the bottom of the blades to the ceiling. Compare that measurement to what distance you have from the top of the interior slide room fascia to the ceiling adjacent to the fan location.

I've heard of fan blades being snapped when the slides were pulled in. Even on a couple early (2005/2006) production installed Heartlands. Then they got smarter :)

donr827

I think that due to the blade/slide clearance the amount of pitch on the blades is limited. Mine does not move a lot of air but it does make a difference.
Don