Chapter Leader Resignation

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It is with great sadness that Debra and I must give up our position as Chapter Leaders of the Virginia Chapter. As many of you are aware, for the past three+ months we have been caring for Debra's Mother in our home. We have tried to maintain our normal lifestyle as much as possible, but as time passes we are realizing that we cannot continue to live our lives as we had previously done and had hoped to continue doing.The full time care giving is taking a toll on us both emotionally and physically. Our camping has been seriously curtailed and as we finally realized while trying to camp last weekend, it is too big a burden on Debra especially to try to keep up with her mother while we are out in the camper. Over the course of our last weekend trip Debra was unable to get out and socialize more than a couple of times for a few minutes. After some serious soul searching we have decided that the only course of action we can take is to temporarily (hopefully) curtail our camping activities for the remaining time that Debra's Mom lives with us. We don't know for sure how long this will be, but we believe that unless a miracle occurs, we will probably have to move her Mom to a nursing home within a couple of years.

This has not been an easy decision and we had hoped we could continue. I had been making plans for upcoming campouts and rallies, but we will now have to trust that someone in the Virginia Chapter will step up and take over for us. Until then, Dave Yocum will be working hard to find a new Chapter Leader.
If, or when, we finally have to move Debra's Mom to a Nursing Facility, we hope to get back to enjoying the wonderful camaraderie we have had for the past four years. We will greatly miss the friendships and cameraderie we have enjoyed with you for the past four years (hard to believe it's been that long since we started this). Hopefully we will be able to keep up with what is going on and who knows what the future holds. Feel free to contact us anytime. As you know, I am not shy on giving RV or campground advice. I plan to remain active on the Heartland Forum, and maybe some short term "miracles" will allow to make a trip or two if the RV doesn't sell soon.

jnbhobe

Gus and Debra; So sorry you have to give up your chapter leader position and maybe even your RVing lifestyle. But we know what you are up against and that FAMILY comes first, we have been in the same position. Please stay in touch and maybe we can get together for lunch sometime when we're in Fredericksburg.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
You and Debra will be greatly missed. Both of you are the type of people that put 100% into whatever you do. I know that you will do the same with your MIL.
Thank you for all your hard work, your continued friendship and our thoughts and prayers are with you as you care for Debra's mom.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Debra/Gus - we will miss ya'll but understand that family always comes first. Please keep in touch.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Gus and Debra were a driving force in the growth and improvement of the Owners Club in the East and we all owe a huge thank you to them for their time and dedication.

As you put your life on hold to care for your family, please know we cherish your friendship and wish you well. Next time we are in DC we'll do lunch!

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Guys.. We do understand, but you can stil visit and let us know how you are doing by staying on the forum. We will keep you in our prayers.

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not much I can say in the way of encouragement because I know how these situations work. But do stay on the forums cuz I, for one, enjoy bouncing stuff off you.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Gus & Debra, I'm sure your VA friends will miss your presence. We all hope things go well with Deb's Mom, Lin & I know exactly what you're going through. We're still at it. We were fortunate to get away as full timers for four years till my Mom went into a care facility.
Thanks for all you've done for our owners club. You'll be baaaack!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Sorry to hear you have to take a break, especially for this reason. Stay in touch on the forum, and good luck.

Kristy

hillsonwheels

Who's gonna help me guard Mike Walker's beer????????????? :rolleyes: Seriously......wish you folks fair winds and following seas. Keep the faith and first thing you know we'll see you two at a campground.

dalspot

Gus, even tho it may seem at times a bit of a burden, cherish the time you have left to spend with her. You two are wonderful folks to be willing to provide for her. Not all can or are willing to do so.

dieselsweetheart

So sorry to hear this Gus and Debra...Gus I think you were the first "friend" I made on the forum while planning my very first PA rally. You and Debra will be missed but I really respect you for taking on your role of caregivers for her mom...Karen is right, not many can, or want to, for their own families. Best of luck to you and hopefully this isn't a goodbye, but a "see you down the road someday!" Sending hugs...

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Dick, I volunteer. How is Rita doing? See yall in Florida. We have Fall Rally Oct 18-21 at Hattiesburg, MS

Hudson

Best of luck handling all the things going on in your life right now. You taught me a lot about running rallies. I appreciate that more than perhaps I have said and I will miss that. I remember at the first Virginia rally you asked folks to sign up for Wagon Master and Assistant Wagon Master positions. I volunteered for the Assistant position and by golly you skipped me right over that straight into the Wagon Master slot and boy was I surprised. But in the long run it was the best thing that could have happened to me.

I've tossed my hat into the ring to take the reins up for you and hope that my status as current Wagon Master for the chapter makes me the next chapter leader.

Last edited:

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Gus and Debra, you are in our prayers, as is Debra's mother. Just remember that so many of us are just a pm or phone call away if ever you need anything. The Virginia chapter will go on, but you leave some big shoes to fill. We all hope to see you and Debra down the road.

jbeletti

While Gus and I have corresponded privately about this, I also wanted to add my sentiment publicly. Gus and Debra did a great job with Virginia, helping to build it into the powerhouse chapter that it is today. On behalf of Heartland, thank you Gus and Debra for your service to the club. We wish you all the best and hope that we can stay in touch. Who knows what the future holds - maybe we'll see you in another Landmark sometime down the road. Be well friends.

Jim Beletti
President, Heartland Owners Club

currituck0209

Hey gus & deb,
we are surely going to miss both of yall, i know what its like, since we had marshas mom for about 2 yrs. I wish you the best of luck, & we will see you again on a campground.
See ya
john & marsha

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
We will miss you but understand that the family comes first. our prayers go with you.

Tom & Mary

bill40

We understand Gus & Deb, hopefully we will see you two again at a gathering. Bill & Jerry (Ma & Pa).