Chevy/GMC Steering Shaft Clunking

Forrest Fetherolf

General Motors has a replacement part for the intermediate steering shaft to prevent clunking. Prior, GM would only repack the shaft with grease. If you truck is under warranty, there is no charge and the install takes less than 45 minutes. If you truck is out of warranty, I would recommend contacting the dealer, make a little noise (shots fired, temper tantrum, threats to buy a Ford or Dodge, picket line, etc) and you might get the parts installed without charge. GM has known about this defect since the first trucks with this design were produced and driven about 10K miles.

Good Luck.........if all else fails.........tell them Forrest sent you!!!!!!!!!:D

Uncle Rog

I have had mine greased twice and replaced once, clunks like .... I need to get back with them as that is the only thing I don't like about the truck!

Gary Steeves

I had same problem - it is reported on another thread. The new "fix" is better, but I still seem to "feel" it at times. Took it back, they couldn't feel anything and sent me on my way. I'll just have to see what happens - down the road !

ct0218

Hate to rain on the parade, but mine was greased twice, replaced twice, and guess what......it still does it. I just ignore it now, not worth the hassle trying to get it fixed.

fishn2dmax

My Duramax and Tahoe both have had this problem. I took the Duramax in and the new shaft fixed the problem ( for now). The Tahoe has yet to be fixed. The new shaft didn't fix the problem and I'm not a happy camper as it is very noticeable and drives me nuts when making a turn on an un level surface. I not not sure why the new shaft fix works on one vehicle and not another? I have my Tahoe scheduled to go back in ( under warranty) for yet another fix the factory rep has given to the dealership. I have two brothers with GM trucks and they too have had the same issues. GM has been fully aware of the issue for many years. Owners should fully expect and or demand this GM design issue to be resolved to their satisfaction.

Forrest Fetherolf

Steering shaft clunking

The Duramax steering shaft clunking was fixed, at least for now. After the second intermediate steering shaft replacement, the clunk continued. :mad: The third time the dealer found the problem, the lower steering shaft bearing was replaced, and the cab to chassis rubber mounts were changed as per service bulletin. All is quiet now.:)

Forrest

Uncle Rog

That's an Affirmative.....

I had the shaft and bearing replaced 10 days or so ago before I headed out, solved most of the problem, the rubber mounts have arrived so I will take it back next week for the final dealio...........Chopper you must be charmed as my '03 had the same "clunk"...................

Forrest Fetherolf

ChopperBill said:
I have 61,000 on our "03" and have not heard a clunk. What am I doing wrong?

Chopper,

May be radio too loud, windows down, hearing aid batteries weak, wife talking too much, kids or grand kids screaming, dogs barking, etc.

I suffer from a few, but not all of the above.:eek:

Forrest

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Can someone describe this "clunk" and when it occurs? I hear a clunk like noise at times when backing out of a parking spot and turning the wheel pretty much full lock but I forget which way. I don't have any steering or alignment problems and everything tracks straight going down the road. Thanks.

Uncle Rog

Ray, it is usually most noticable when going over bumpy pavement at relatively slow speed. The noise sounds like it is coming from the steering shaft, which it is, and a repetitive clunk as if shaking an oversized nut up and down on a bolt.....That is as close as I can describe it.....Very obvious if you have the condition.............

jpmorgan37

Ray;
You should have said something when you were here. I would have let you drive Sue's car. 149000 miles, numerous attempts to repair and it still does it. Primarily at speeds below 15 mph on slight turns, especially with light braking. They have packed with grease, replaced the shafts, and it keeps coming back. I had the same thing on my GMC and they never got it fixed (permanently) either. I just ignore it now.

Ray LeTourneau

From what you all describe, I don't have the clunk. I have no noise as you describe it. I may have a weak link in my steering somewhere that I'll have to investigate. Thanks for the replies.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Steering Clunk

Hey guys, the noise you discribe may also be a front cross member pop. Most Subs and tahoes do it. Have seen it on some 1/2 and 3/4 trucks also. Your dealer should know what do to fix the shaft and cross member noises. There have been a lot of GM bulletins on this.

Uncle Rog

Finally, The Clunk is Gone!!!

After 4 tries the shaft seems to be at peace. The 3 piece fix seems to be working. I take a dirt road every morning to avoid SO Cal interchange traffic and after a week, No Noise. I now am starting to remember how much I like the truck..........................

Ray LeTourneau

I guess I spoke too soon. I now have the dreaded clunk for sure. It arrived a couple weeks ago and it is very annoying. There is a DIY fix I found on the Duramax Forum that basically instructs you to remove and dissasemble the shaft. Clean it and apply copper heat resistant silicone to the shaft splines. Reassemble and let it sit for a few hours overnight if possible. The opinion is the silicone will cure and stop the clunk while still allowing the shaft to collapse under impact as designed. The new part for repair from GM is $92.00. I don't know if that would be a permanent solution or not???

fishn2dmax

Just got my 03 Duramax back from the dealer for the 3rd time on the steering clunk. They claim GM finally has a real fix using a newly revised...revised steering shaft design ....right...we'll see? A few months back my Tahoe was doing the same thing and they replaced the shaft and did something with the cross member...So far so good.