2012 WA Rally Debrief

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
2012 Washington State HOC Rally - Twisp, WA. (Pictures and Slideshow)

Official Rally dates were July 20 & 21 (Friday and Saturday). Many Heartland campers arrived earlier and stayed later to enjoy Riverbend RV Park and the greater Methow Valley area.
We arrived on Thursday the 19th to surprisingly mild weather. Twisp is known for sunny and warm/hot weather from June through at least August. Not only was the weather mild but Friday brought severe thunderstorms to the area accompanied with heavy rain and flash flood warnings. Weather was very nice on Saturday and Sunday.

Eight Heartland rigs attended the rally...David Crum (crumgater) and Tina Toburen, Steve and AnaLyn Herrick (sjh), Bruce and Carol McLaughlin (Manzan), Rick and Joyce Morones (rickandjoyce), Dale and Margi Roper (JDR), David and Linda Tullis (DLT), and Bob and Ann Williams (bobowill). Many of these members were sporting newly acquired yellow t-shirts they received at the National Rally in Gillette. It was fun hearing the many rally stories from those that attended. We also had some guests and hopefully future HOC members join us in Twisp...from Spokane we met Bighorn owners, Tom and Jan and from BC, Canada we met North Trail owners, Paul and Roxanne.

Friday we all met in the covered BBQ shelter for the traditional "Meet-n-Greet". Many brought snacks to share from smoked salmon to chicken roll-ups...this group does not simply put out a bag of chips! The rainy weather certainly did not put a damper on the festivity. The rain did discourage some from attending the outdoor production of “The Music Man” at the Twisp River Park. It’s not much fun watching Marian the Librarian with running mascara or 76 trombones sliding.

At the Meet n Greet Linda Tullis presented us with a very nice picture album/scrapbook with previous rally pictures including some of the WA HOC members at the Gillette event. This was a great gift and something we will update through the years and always keep with the WA Chapter.
Saturday brought sunnier weather and campers were out and about enjoying area attractions. We saw many at the Twisp Farmers Market in the morning. We came back with, of all things, a zucchini! Also ate an Elephant Ear while viewing the wares of local artisans. Others went into the quaint old western town of Winthrop to shop while others went to see the Rhythm and Blues Festival a short drive away. We were able to spend an hour or so in the Methow River on our River Rat tubes although it was in a side pond area. The actual river was to high and fast from the recent rains.

The Pot-Luck dinner was again fantastic! Tables were covered and set and soon everyone was walking across the yard food in hand. The food was wonderful from chicken enchiladas to pasta alfredo, there was something for every palate. We even had some great dessert items. One dessert, baby macaroons with pineapple dipping sauce, looked exactly like a plate of scallops...you should have seen the peoples faces as they bit into what they thought was a scallop and got a mouthful of cookie!

Sunday it seemed many were slow to rise...must have been those late night campfire episodes from master fire-maker David Tullis. His fires light fast, burn steady and never smoke! Donuts and Coffee were served at our site at 10:00 AM. Hanks Market had freshly baked them just for us :)

Already conversations were leading towards the 2013 WA Rally. Some thoughts that were shared; Perhaps we would like to have a catered dinner at a local restaurant since we have done the Pot-Luck event at our previous rallies. We should remember to get a “group” picture at our events. We should have a “Guest Book” or event diary where attendees could sign-in and leave what information like email addresses, cell phone numbers etc. that they wish. One possible location discussed for 2013 is Wine Country RV Park in Prosser, WA. There are 34 local wineries with tasting rooms in the Prosser area. Thirteen are within walking distance of Wine Country RV Park. This is just one option. We are looking for any and all recommendations as to where we should host in 2013.

Camping opportunities need not be limited to our own state rally. Some of us will meet again soon at the Pacific Regional Rally in Canyonville, OR. Hopefully we will be able to schedule some less formal “campouts” before it is time to winterize our rigs. Anyone with a good idea, please email us the details!

In many respects our rally was “typical” however, it is very evident that WA HOC is “atypical” from the standpoint of compassion, caring, sharing and helping from its members. From the usual RV talk of tires and maintenance to some actual on-site repairs of a campers living area lighting system, our small group takes advantage of everyone’s experience, expertise and willingness to help. Much like the Heartland Forum, the WA Chapter has a great membership!

Best Wishes

Steve and AnaLyn

jbeletti

Steve and AnaLyn,

What a great rally wrap-up report. Sounds like the WA chapter had a great time and are well on your way to planning the next one.

Looking forward to meeting you two for the first time and meeting others again - at the PNW Regional Rally. Congrats to you and your club members and see you soon!

wdk450

Steve and Analyn:
Congrats on what sounds like a great second annual Washington Chapter HOG rally!!!! I wish I could attend all of these rallies, but I need one of those Startrek transporters for me and my rig, to make the time, fuel, (and RV repairs) budgets easier.

It was hard to top last year's Washington rally at Anacortes, but I think you did it!!

Hope to see you two (and your beautiful Big Country), at the Western Regional HOG rally in Canyonville, Oregon next month.

SJH

Steve and Analyn:
Congrats on what sounds like a great second annual Washington Chapter HOG rally!!!! I wish I could attend all of these rallies, but I need one of those Startrek transporters for me and my rig, to make the time, fuel, (and RV repairs) budgets easier. It was hard to top last year's Washington rally at Anacortes, but I think you did it!! Hope to see you two (and your beautiful Big Country), at the Western Regional HOG rally in Canyonville, Oregon next month.

Thank you for the kind words Bill! We wish you could have been at Twisp too but keeping track of all your exploits on the forum we certainly understand! You do an amazing amount of traveling...maybe someday we can also. Looking forward to seeing you again in Canyonville!

Safe Travels!

Crumgater

Thank you Steve and AnaLyn for a great rally - AGAIN!
A great location and a great group of people. We made some more friends that we hope to keep track of and see again, too.
Can't wait to plan next year's adventure!
Have a great time 'til we see you again.
-Tina

Tomharg

I second Tina's thoughts. Many thanks to Prunella's people, Steve and Analyn, for the tremendous effort required to put this rally together. We haven't been to a rally of any kind in our previous six years of RVing, but this was a great intro and a great way to meet new friends!
Thanks to all!
Tom

Manzan

OK, when and where next year? So much fun and such great people-- we will be there! Nice to see old friends and make new ones. We will be in Canyonville next month for the regional rally.
Bruce & Carol

SJH

OK, when and where next year? So much fun and such great people-- we will be there! Nice to see old friends and make new ones. We will be in Canyonville next month for the regional rally.
Bruce & Carol

AnaLyn and I will see you both at Seven Feathers! Have a safe trip!