Forum Issues - June to August 2012

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
In attempting to edit some spelling errors in a recent post, when selecting (Edit Post), I do not get back any of the original text. In other words...there is nothing for me to edit and I would have to retype my entire post. Anyone else having this issue?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: Forum Issue?

Steve, this happened to me several days ago when the forum was acting up. Currently, I can edit as usual but any of the posts I made during that time frame, I get the same picture as you, a blank page. Almost like a new post. I have no idea what caused it or if it can be fixed.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

Thanks Ray...at least I know its not a "senior" moment on my part!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

I had the same problem with the Copake Rally thread and Tom's NJ Rally thread was affected as well. Michael Kidd was able to repair our rally threads but the problem is looking to be much bigger.

jbeletti

I had the same problem with the Copake Rally thread and Tom's NJ Rally thread was affected as well. Michael Kidd was able to repair our rally threads but the problem is looking to be much bigger.

Deb,

I believe in those cases, there was an invalid character in the post. This is usually caused when data is copied from another application, Word for example, then pasted into the post. Some formatting that is hidden, gets in there and causes an issue.

I'm hoping vBulletin gets smarter in future versions and can check for or deal with this in a better matter.

linuxkidd

JB is correct, the posts I've fixed so far have had issues due to improper handling of extended characters.

Some examples:
- Using forward and reverse slanted single quotes or double quotes ( Word does this automatically ) instead of the ' or " which are completely fine
- Using bullet points created by Word instead of the BB code for generating a bulleted list.

If anyone runs into this type of problem, please CLICK HERE to send me a private message. Be sure to include a link to the post which is presenting the problem. ( A link to the thread with a post # will suffice as well )

Thanks,
LK

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Forum: What has changed??

I know from reading a forum thread that Michael is disabeling some things to find out the problem of being kicked off the forum.However I have seen a couple of changes I am curious about that are no longer available or has changed..I use to be able to right click on the link to a thread and read the original post without opening the tread. This would give me an idea if the subject was something I wanted to read now or maybe later..I no longer see the count of users, members and guests viewing the forum. Is there any other changes that members use that have been eliminated, added or changed??Just curious....BC

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Re: Forum: What has changed??

Bob - not sure about the changes to the site but I know it still keeps kicking me out saying something to the effect that the site is too busy - try again at a later time. Real frustrating especially when you are trying to reply to a thread and it losses it.

donr827

I am having the same problem as Nathan. Some times no problem, and some times I get the message.
Don

evolvingpowercat

Forum capcity issues

In the past few days, the site has gone from having very slow page load times to not serving pages at all and instead serving a "server too busy" page.

I hope the forum operators and administrators have immediate access to the support resources and funds (if needed) to resolve this issue. I did my part and joined the Heartland Owners Club after buying my used Edge specifically to help fund this forum. I find it invaluable to my Heartland Edge ownership experience.

Thanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Forum capcity issues

I've been getting that "forum too busy" message more frequently, as well.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I've been getting the same thing. Or errors saying my paragraph of reply is too short! Also been getting some IE errors that I've never seen before. I wonder if there's some DNS attack going on someplace.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors

Just happened to me again 5 minutes ago. Signed off and then signed right back in and here we are.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I agree that there are problems with accessing the forum and staying on.

My question is has things changed within the forum.

I am typing in this reply with each sentence seperate not in a paragraph..

My OP was the same way. Each sentence then a blank line. I have posted this way often because I find long paragraphs difficult to read sometimes...

I also like to see the original post when I click but don't launch the thread link. Gives me an idea of what the post is about. Now I only get about 5 words and that is all.

I also don't see the total users on the thread, number of members and number of guests. That is gone.

I also like to use the active topics which is gone once you use it...

I just got the note that the server is busy...

Time 7:00 Pm CDT

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Didn't do it this time... I had two windows open. One with the list of threads and one I was posting to a thread. The one with the list of threads closed, the one edit to post worked...

BC

ZNK

Yes, the forum seems to be having a lot of server "busy" issues. It seems more frequent if I have it open in two windows.

rick_debbie_gallant

was this an issue when over 800 folks were on line at once. If not, why is it an issue with only 300 some folks on line.