Is it ever too hot to travel

Pecosbill

We are use to heat but this is unrelenting. Any advice on traveling with my bighorn and a Silverado 2500 diesel in 100 + degree heat? We plan on going from St Louis to the Northwest starting in late August. New tires and all tuned up.
:cool:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have traveled in up to 110-120 degree temps. in the desert for years.

Carry plenty of drinking water.

I try not to let fuel go below half, if I'm in remote areas. You don't want to get stuck running out of fuel, especially in brutal heat.
Also, remember your equipment has to work a little harder in the heat. I try to go a little easier on mine.

If you don't have an onboard generator, you might consider getting a portable that will run your air.
If you get stuck or have to park without hookups, you will at least have A/C.
We run our second A/C occasionally, when temps go over 100+. If you plan on traveling in heat a lot, a second A/C is nice. JMHO. Trace

Last edited:

PUG

Pug
My TST monitor is present at 158 degrees for the alarm to come on. If mine reach that hot i plan on finding a shade tree.

ILH

It's interesting to see how well our diesel trucks handle stress and heat.

I was commenting to my 16 year old this week how you just don't see the cars overheated at the side of the road as we did when we were kids. I'm not necessarily prepared to say that cars and trucks are better designed - but certainly they are designed to run hotter.

Tanuki

Yep, you rarely see boiling-over vehicles anymore. It's funny; near where I live, US Hwy 50 runs straight and flat across the Central Valley. Then it suddenly begins to climb into the Sierras. That first hill is a 6% grade and is a straight climb for about 1.5 miles. 30 years ago (and earlier) it had a couple of nicknames: Radiator Ridge and Heartbreak Hill. There was a garage on the opposite side of the hill that used to make a haul every summer replacing hoses and thermostats. Now days, when I tell someone those nicknames, they just look puzzled. What hill?:confused:

Pecosbill

Thanks for all the good advice. I guess I will get ready to go no matter what the temperature. Setting the TST monitor is a great idea.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Don't worry about the heat. Your diesel actually works well in the heat. Most cars will boil over just sitting in traffic. Your diesel will run cooler. One of the worst climbs is on West bound I90 MM239 toward Butte Montana. Atleast an 8% grade for over a mile. Big thing about climbing is to keep in a lower gear and let your engine run at a good RPM. My 2006 6.0 runs good at about 2k or 2.5k. When climbing I try to keep in a gear that keeps the RPM's around 2000 to 2500 and the exaust temp around 1200 if possible.

If you don't have a aux tank don't let your tank get below a 1/4 tank. A couple of 5gal Diesel cans will help if you don't have an aux tank.

FWIW
BC

RanCarr

We're about to give up on July and August camping. It's always too hot to spend much time outdoors except in the mornings and late evenings. We're considering spending summers either up north or in the NC mountains. This summer has been brutal with deadly temperatures day after day.

On my prior truck I had a http://www.scangauge.com/ that monitors just about everything. The main temps I wanted to watch was the transmission. My new Ford has all the digital gauges built in with warning lights, buzzers and reduced power so the engine won't blow up. Diesels can take a beating and pulling my 15k trailer up (or down) a grade in 110 deg heat, I've never had a problem.

With all the other suggestions in mind, be smart, be safe and have a great time.

brlr2000

The diesels run quite well in the heat, but if you're overly concerned, it's best to plan driving in the very early morning hours when it's cooler, and no less direct sunlight. We also live in the Nevada desert, and have never had a problem with the heat...The only problems we've had is that when we get to our destination, it sometimes takes a long time to cool off the interior of the 5er. Have a safe trip!

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
The Upper Peninsula is beautiful in the summer, especially if you get a campground on Lake Superior....