Cable Connection in UDC

ILH

Here's a suggestion for improvement / modification down the road - it probably affects more than just RWs.

Redesign the connection point where the tv cable screws into the UDC. I don't have the largest hands, but I have a great deal of difficulty screwing and unscrewing the tv cable from the UDC because of a circular ridge for the water-tight cap. I can barely get my fingers in there.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A quick and easy solution is to get some coax quick disconnects.
Radio Shack has em. Probably Home Depot does as well.
They screw onto your cable and then just plug into the connectors in the UDC.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

I also have difficulty tightening the coax connections in the UDC. My solution was to get a couple of 12" coax cables. I leave them permanently connected in the UDC and attach the cable and satellite coax to them.

pkeipper

The coaxial cable supplied by the cable company has the cable connection that is about an inch long from the end and this whole end turns to attach the cable. No need to squeeze your fingers into that little circle. I don't know where they can be purchased but I am looking.

donr827

A quick and easy solution is to get some coax quick disconnects.
Radio Shack has em. Probably Home Depot does as well.
They screw onto your cable and then just plug into the connectors in the UDC.

Peace
Dave

This is what I use on my cable connection in the UDC
Don

ILH

Just a quick follow-up on this thread... I did end hp purchasing the quick disconnects from Radio Shack. I carry two cable lengths with me - a 25" and a 50" length - so I bought 4 quick connects to do all 4 ends. No more connection issues.

tljack

Wives little slender fingers work pretty good to. "smile". Seriously the only way I can get it hooked up is to have my wife do it as I have thick fingers. I like the idea of a quick disconnect. Do they make a good connection? Terry

MCTalley

I have a 50' cable I just leave hooked up in the UDC and coiled up with a velcro strap around it. When we go to hook up somewhere, I remove the strap, play out enough cable through the access hole and strap back up the remainder. When it's time to leave, I just reel in the cable, coil it back up, put on the strap and lay it in the UDC floor.

However, I might have to look into quick disconnects.

jbeletti

Here's what people are talking about I think. Push-on F-Connectors. They're great. But note they don't last forever. Change them every couple years of contant use (plugging/unplugging).

push-on_f-connector.jpg

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I use them on my satellite cables and have not had a problem.

Peace
Dave

One thing to remember, after a while the push on quick connects will wear down the threads on the UDC connections making it hard to use the screw on type later if you ever need to.

ILH

Here's what people are talking about I think. Push-on F-Connectors. They're great. But note they don't last forever. Change them every couple years of contant use (plugging/unplugging).

View attachment 23955

There's one with a 90 degree bend in it - better for closing the door on the compartment (if you have stiff coax).