Water Heater Problem?

frano

On our M21, when we use the electric to power the water heater, the water gets extremely hot very quickly. The Edge is now a year old and we've recently noticed water leaking from under the bath tub area after the water heater has been on for 1/2 hour or so. There's no leak when we're not heating the water (we've never used the gas to heat our water, so I don't know if that has an issue also). I have not been able to find a thermostat to turn down the water temp and I'm wondering if the water heater is boiling over and causing the leak. Anyone have this experience? Thanks.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
According to the owners manuals for suburban water heaters. There is a high temperature limit thermostat set at 180*. The pressure relief valve is designed to open and leak when the water reachs 210* or if the water pressure builds to 150 PSI.
You may be able to reduce or eliminate the leak near your tub by following the instructions to add an air pocket to your water heater. I have copied the instructions on how to do this from the suburban owners manual.
WATER WEEPING OR DRIPPING FROM PRESSURE
RELIEF VALVE
You may experience water weeping or dripping from your water heater’s Pressure
and Temperature (P & T) Relief Valve when your water heater is operating. Water
weeping or dripping from the P & T Valve does not always mean the P & T Valve
is defective. As water is heated, it expands. The water system in a recreational
vehicle is a closed system and does not allow for the expansion of heated water.
When the pressure of the water system exceeds the relieving point of the P & T
Valve, the valve will relieve the excess pressure.
Suburban recommends that a check valve not be installed directly at the inlet to
the water heater tank. This will increase weeping of the pressure relief valve.
WARNING! Do not remove or plug the relief valve.
One way to reduce the frequency of this occurrence is to maintain an air pocket
at the top of the water heater tank. This air pocket will form in the tank by design.
However, it will be reduced over time by the everyday use of your water heater.
To replenish this air pocket:
1. Turn off water heater.
2. Turn off cold water supply line.
3. Open a faucet in the RV.
4. Pull out on the handle of the Pressure Relief (P & T) Valve and allow water to
fow from the valve until it stops.
5. Release handle on P & T Valve - it should snap closed.
6. Close faucet and turn on cold water supply; as the tank flls, the air pocket
will develop.
Repeat this procedure as often as needed to reduce the frequency of the weeping
of the P & T Valve. If the weeping persists after following this procedure, you may
elect to install an expansion or accumulator tank in the cold water line between
the tank and check valve to relieve the pressure caused by thermal expansion.
Contact your local dealer for assistance.