Heading southwest to Apache Junction

J-W&E

We are planning to head to Apache Junction from WI. Wondering if anyone has taken Route 377 from Holbrook to Payson and down to Mesz AZ in December or January?

MC9

Took that route a couple of years ago in Jan. from Green Valley to Canyon de Chelly. Temps were in the 60's. They don't usually get a lot of snow up there. I would keep an eye on the wx though.

santafesoul

We take that route quite frequently as our son lives in the Phoenix area. 277 is a relatively flat road and if it's snowing there it will probably be snowing in Flagstaff as well. 2 lane until you reach the top of the mogollon rim then it is 4 lane most of the way to Phoenix area.

Down side is that you travel over a number of small ridges. Some of them steep enough to have slow you quite a bit. Up side, you don't have to drive around the phoenix loop. The loop is fast moving and heavily traveled highway.

Time wise you will probably find the trip about the same, oh wait, I see you're driving a Dodge. Better take the Flagstaff route.:)

J-W&E

We take that route quite frequently as our son lives in the Phoenix area. 277 is a relatively flat road and if it's snowing there it will probably be snowing in Flagstaff as well. 2 lane until you reach the top of the mogollon rim then it is 4 lane most of the way to Phoenix area.

Down side is that you travel over a number of small ridges. Some of them steep enough to have slow you quite a bit. Up side, you don't have to drive around the phoenix loop. The loop is fast moving and heavily traveled highway.

Time wise you will probably find the trip about the same, oh wait, I see you're driving a Dodge. Better take the Flagstaff route.:)

Thanks for the information about 277. We were concerned about snow and also hills that slow you down. My husband says, since we have a 4x4 we will probably just go across country........I hope he is not serious!!! :confused:

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We are headed here in October , from what I get so far is 277 is ok for a rig. What about 377 or should I take 77 to 277 , live fairly close to St.Louis,MO. , seems going to Flagstaff would be longer drive .........Kenny