Stowing bicycles in garage

2TrakR

Anyone have/seen a way to haul bicycles inside the garage? We're just stacking them whichever way they fit and securing with bungee straps. Depends on if we have the ATV or just the motorcycles in there, but either way, the bicycles are the "afterthought". With 4 bikes, it's irritating to not have a "clean" way to haul them.

I have thoughts of rigging up something to the underside of the lower bunk frame, with "arms" like what are on a hitch-mounted bicycle carrier. Not measured to see if there's enough room, but it looks like it. Not sure how much weight we can attach to the lower bunk though.

Ideas? Couldn't find anything on the forum in regards to this...

DW_Gray

The floor is 1 inch thick plywood. You could mount a rack on the floor. Mounting hangers under the bunk can be little tricky depending what bunk you have. The straight across bunk, like I have, has lots of hollow space and you can't mount anything in that. I thought about attaching a bar that could be moved out of the way when not in use to the HappiJac frame. The bar would swing out and attach to the bike with a clamp.

I can't keep my bikes in the garage because of the car.

u243412

This was our setup for our last trip to South Dakota.
Might be tough to see in the picture... but I ran a 2x4 across from one wall to the other. (cushion on ends at walls) Wratchet strapped to seats of motorbikes. Then I wratchet strapped the handlebars on pedal bikes to the 2x4. It worked out well.
I had foam under/over each wratchet strap spot.

20120711_155501.jpg

porthole

Retired
I made a removable bike rack out of 2x3's.
I'll get pictures tomorrow.

Duane
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ILH

I thought about mounting a reciever hitch plate in there and using my reciever hitch bike rack. Instead, I just take along 2 floor bike racks like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000077CPJ...&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B000077CPJ. I then park the bikes and strap them down with one ratchet strap. This has been very secure and then you can use the racks to hold up the bikes outside at the campsite.

I really like this idea - particularly since it provides somewhere to park the bikes after you've arrived at the campground.