No power In garage or bedroom

2TrakR

We don't have AC power on the bedroom or garage area - there is a gfi in kitchen but it is ok and has power. One in master bath and it is ok and has power. One in garage bathroom does not have power but is not tripped. I can't trip or reset it. All breakers are on and not tripped. Flipped them all just to be sure. We have 50 amp service. I put the 30 amp adapter on and plugged into that outlet to elIminate that possibility. Is there another breaker or gfi that we are missing?This stuff used to work. We had it plugged in at home on 20 amp. Did have power outage at home with storm damage knocking out our power for a few hours. Not sure if it was ok after or not I think it was but not sure. Have not checked power cable at trailer yet. This is an 2011 cyclone 3950. Advice appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing you might want to check is the wires at the breakers. Disconnect from shore power and remove the breaker panel and check the wires on them as well as all the neutral wires.
Another thing would be to remove the GFI in the garage bathroom and check the wiring there.
Is everything else working? All appliances, AC etc.
Are you using some sort of electrical surge protection such as a Surge Guard or Progressive EMS?

Peace
Dave

2TrakR

Don't have surge or power protection - have it on the get list.
Ac unit in kitchen is ok, bedroom not working, no microwave and I think the main fridge is running on propane but can't tell for certain. Hit water heater light comes on like it could be working. Tv has power.

WilmanJim

If you have the cover off the Breaker Panel and you feel comfortable using a voltmeter, check to make sure you have the correct voltage on the main circuit breaker. 120v on each leg.
I had similar symptoms and I had a bad wire on my 50 cord.
Please let us know what you find.

Jim

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Didn't read thru all replies, but check for a GFI plug on the outside of the trailer. But, it sure sounds like one leg of AC power is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

If you have generator prep, there is a transfer switch, which is another place one leg of the 50AMP service can be interrupted. If you have a generator, see if there's any difference when it's running. If there's a bad contact in the transfer switch, just running the genny for long enough to flip the transfer switch might get a marginal contact working again.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned before, it sounds like one leg of the AC is out.
I know you said that you reset all the breakers, but I gotta ask. Did you also reset the main breaker?

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I lost one leg of my power and found the plug (male end) that plugs into the pedestal had one of the prongs that was broken. Replaced the plug on the end (got the new one at Lowes) and that took care of the problem. This problem first started as an intermittent problem before it finally just quit working on that one leg.

2TrakR

Appreciate all the advice.. I have 123V to both hot legs at the main breaker in the coach's panel. When I put a load on the left leg, it drops voltage (to 80 or 40, depends on which circuits I enable). Looks like a bad connection/loose wire. Oh the joy to chase it down. I'm going to try and borrow somebody else's cable here at the campground to see if it's our shore cable. How do you get at the transfer switch? We do have generator prep on this unit, but no generator. I see a vented panel under the counter kitchen counter that would be the back wall of the master bath. The front storage compartment has that black carpet on the walls, not sure how I could remove that to access the area behind the shore power receptacle on the coach.

danemayer

On our Landmark, I think the transfer switch is behind the basement wall, near the back of the breaker box. Don't know about Cyclones.

dave10a

I found several loose and improperly installed wire nuts in the AC and DC circuits that failed at different times. I think after 7 months I have found them all.

DougS

Doug S
I agree with checking the transfer switch. I had burning wires in my RV 2 weeks again, and it was protected by a surge protector. One leg burned out completely and I had the same symptoms as yours. I contacted Progressive Industies and they sent me a replacement even though I was 2 months out of warrantee.
I was able to find my problem very easy, I just followed the smell of burned plastic. From what I saw inside the switch, jumper wires between contacts shorted. I was lucky none of my appliances were ruined.

2TrakR

Called Heartland Customer Service, nice gentleman told me where to look for the power distribution something. Said even with generator prep it would not have an auto transfer switch. Maybe I'm using the wrong terms. Silver box, has power leads from shore power receptacle and second set from generator junction box. Two relay-looking devices inside the silver box with a circuit board; feed lines go on one side, output runs to main breaker panel.Automatic Transfer Switch (what I'm calling it) is SMOKED. Black power wire on main panel side (side that feeds directly to coach main panel). Wire was burned from lug about 4 inches, just about touching the metal case. Copper was corroded blue/green/fuzzy, so looks like it happened some time ago.There's a bar code "PD52" on it with what looks like a serial number.Any suggestions on replacement box for this? Just starting to look for matching numbers and find the nearest dealer that may have it in stock. I should be able to "hot-wire" it directly and skip this box for the weekend if it comes down to it.

DougS

Doug S
Call Progressive Dynamics at (269)781-4241. Sounds like we had the same problem. They honored my PD52 even though I was 2 months over my 2 year warrantee. They shipped my part in about 4 days to my next stop since I were traveling. I by-passed my switch by moving wires to my hard wired Surge Protector. I also had on hand wire nuts for #6 wire just in case they were needed to splice wires for by-pass. We lived about 12 days with transfer switch by-passed with everything working.
You might want to take pictures of wires before removing them, even though wiring is straight forward.

2TrakR

Have an email into progressive dynamics to see if they will help with replacement. Was just on hold forever when I called but it was near lunch time. Went to hardware store near the campground and picked up enough to be able to wire in a bypass for the time being. Nearest RV dealer didn't have one in stock and wouldn't see it until Monday.

2TrakR

Emailed Progressive Dynamics with my situation and a photo of the unit (below). They responded back within a couple hours offering to cover it under warranty. That is fabulous customer service.I pulled the box out today and picked up some bolt-crimp-connectors and bypassed the box (no generator on board yet, so those leads were just taped and put out of the way). We are back to full power and all is working. Thanks for everyone's help, it's greatly appreciated. For reference, the Automatic Transfer Switch on the Cyclone 3950 is located under the central vacuum. The basement storage compartment has to have the rear, middle wall section removed to gain access (4 screws, plus the vacuum port if you have that).Having a voltmeter and knowing how to use are pretty mandatory for troubleshooting this type of failure. For example, our microwave would not turn on (no clock, etc.) but you could plug a night into the same outlet and it would light up (such a low voltage draw).
failedPD52.jpg

dave10a

I am surprised they never gave you any push back. It could be argued that the wire was not properly tightened on the connection. It is great to hear some companies give the customer the benefit of doubt. I have several wire nuts that were not properly installed by the factory and one of them actually burnt the wire something like you show on your photograph. I wonder if Heartland will reimburse me for my time and effort :)

The burnt wire should be replaced, because once wire overheats its electrical characteristics are changed to the worse...

Last edited: