Towing a 24RBS with a Chevy Tahoe

JMC

Does anyone have experience towing a Heartland 24RBS travel trailer with a 2011 or 2012 Chevy Tahoe? If so, what kind of gas millage do you get while towing?

GOTTOYS

I can only guess based on my experiences with the travel trailers I've owned in the past. I have found there isn't much difference in towing one to another. It's the frontal area as well as the drag behind the trailer that kill the mileage. I would expect you to get anywhere between 7mpg and maybe 11 mpg with an average of about 9-10mpg. There are many variables such as wind speed and direction, terrain, vehicle speed and driving habits. I know your salesperson may tell you something different..that's why they're called salespeople...Don

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Depends on how your Tahoe is set up but.... We had a 07 Tahoe 5.3L 3.73 axle w/ tow package, towed a 24' KZ which is just under your weight. The Tahoe averaged 10 mpg, stopped fine, towed ok. The rear end burned up out first trip from tx. to calif. It couldnt handle a 30mph headwind @ 55 mph.

JeremyN

A co-worker of mine pulls a FX23. He had a 2005 Tahoe and said that it pulled ok. He had the 5.3L engine and 3.73 axle with a tow package on it. He recently traded that Tahoe in for a 2006 ext cab chevy 1500. This truck has the same 5.3L engine, 3.73 rear end, and tow package on it. He said that it is night and day difference between how the truck pulls it compared to the Tahoe. He never really complained too much about the Tahoe, just said it felt "slightly unstable" at times when he was pulling. He said his new truck pulls it way better.

I think both the FX23 and the 24RBS are almost the exact same weight, so it is very comparable. With his Silverado now, he said he can consitantly get about 11-12 mpg while pulling about 62mph on the interstate. He said he was barely able to get 9 out of his Tahoe doing the same towing.

olybldr55

We have a 24RBS that we towed with a Ford Expedition. It was ok but not ideal although the towing capacity was under the rating of the Expedition. Just purchased a 2012 F150 supercrew short box with the tow/haul package and the 3.5 ecoboost motor. What a difference in handling and performance and ok towing mileage at 11 mpg.