12 Volt & 120 Volt Meters Installed

Forrest Fetherolf

I installed a 12 volt and 120 volt meter to check voltage at a glance. The project took about 2 hours. I pulling the 12v fuse panel and 120v breaker panel forward a few inches and removed the fire extinguisher mount from the wall to access the wiring. The connection for 12 volt was make on the back of the fuse panel, the connection for 120v was made by drilling a small hole in the upper portion of the breaker panel to connect wiring inside.

Attachments

• Volt meters001.JPG
    Volt meters001.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Volt meters002.JPG
    Volt meters002.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 112

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Very Cool! Where did you get the meters? I have a project ahead of me to add an outlet to the kitchen base cabinet. I have the breaker to add to the panel but haven't taken the time to gete my butt in gear. When you had the 120 panel loosened, did it look pretty straight forward as far as adding breakers?

tdharley

Nice installl , Forrest

I went the lazy way. I bought the digital plug in one from CW. I use this as a test meter also. I plug it into the shoreline before hooking up my rig.

It tells me the volts and if the meter is wired properly, polarity. The digital one is also easier to read than an analog, I am getting tooooo old.

I use a Link 1000 on my inverter to do all the 12 volt jobs...voltage, amp draw, hours left in batteries & total battery charge.

Forrest Fetherolf

Ray,

I bought the meters from a local electronics surplus store. The meters were about $22.00 each, I didn't try online. You will probably find that the breaker panel is full of mini breakers and no room to add more. I would recommend you connect to an existing circuit. You should be able to locate a 120v Romex in or around the kitchen cabinets, in outside access panel or behind the refrig.

Forrest

SmokeyBare

Nice Project!! I like the idea of both power sources.

I pulled wire from the 110 Panel to the Living room side of the kitchen base cabinet. I wanted a place to better plug in a coffee pot and toaster. Each are above the base cabinet doors. Both are on the same circuit Breaker.

I ordered the RV wired for a second A/C which gave me a 50 Amp power cable and extra breaker spots in the panel.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Forest
Neat install. I have mine installed inside the closet as you come in the door.
Rand

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Forrest Fetherolf said:
Ray,

I bought the meters from a local electronics surplus store. The meters were about $22.00 each, I didn't try online. You will probably find that the breaker panel is full of mini breakers and no room to add more. I would recommend you connect to an existing circuit. You should be able to locate a 120v Romex in or around the kitchen cabinets, in outside access panel or behind the refrig.

Forrest
Thanks Forrest. I just looked in our panel and there is room for 3 more double breakers.