DTV Slimline3 setup first time?

wildwolfproducts

Anyone know of any good video's or other stuff to help with first time setup of the Slimline 3 dish for direct? Were in a spot the auto sat on the roof can't get a signal.
I do have a digital strength meter to help set up.
Pete

danemayer

Anyone know of any good video's or other stuff to help with first time setup of the Slimline 3 dish for direct? Were in a spot the auto sat on the roof can't get a signal.
Pete

Hi Pete,

I can't point you to a video, but if you're going to set up a SL3 dish on a tripod I can give you a couple of tips. I assume you're using a SL3 in order to watch in High Def. It's harder than with round dishes.

1. Go to the satellite setup menu on your receiver and select DISH POINTING. Put in the zip code to get the Azimuth (horizontal), Elevation (vertical), and Tilt (rotation of the face of the dish.
  2. Get your tripod as level as you possibly can. A level tripod will simplify tuning.
  3. Secure the tripod to the ground.
  4. Loosen the 3 nuts that let the face of the dish rotate and set the Tilt to the value from DISH POINTING. Tighten the nuts, but plan on coming back.
  5. Loosen the 2 nuts on the underside and rotate the bolt that adjusts horizontal to get the pointer centered. Tighten slightly.
  6. Loosen the 3 nuts that allow vertical movement and align to the vertical setting from DISH POINTING. Tighten slightly.
  7. Use a compass to find the azimuth value from DISH POINTING. The compass will read wrong if too close to your truck or trailer.
  8. Loosen the mounting screws that hold the dish to the tripod and aim the dish's arm/LNB to the compass setting. Tighten slightly.
  9. Hook up the meter - you probably need to have the receiver end connected to power the meter.
  10. Start testing for a signal. When the needle is pegged, turn the sensitivity down until the needle is about half strength.

This is the really tricky part. You can get a signal from the wrong satellite. You'll adjust for signal strength and think it's all good and then go inside and - NOTHING. You're pointed at the wrong satellite. That's why the initial pointing is so important.
  11. I usually have to search for the signal by moving the arm left or right and also up and down a bit. When you thing you've found the satellite, start fine tuning.
  12. Use the adjustment controls in steps 4,5,6 to fine tune the signal on the meter. Keep the nuts slightly tight.
  13. When you think you've maxxed the signal, go inside and check SIGNAL METERS on the receiver. You typically need to get into the 80s to get a signal, and into the 90s for a good signal. 98 will usually survive storm clouds.

Patience required. If you've got a good reading on the meter, and nothing showing from the receiver, you're likely pointed at the wrong satellite.

Good luck.

jnbhobe

I wait till Cookie sets his up then just hook in. LOL I would like to see something too I just got a new slimline antenna.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a smart phone and so far have had pretty good luck with the Dish Pointer Pro App.

wildwolfproducts

I have a smart phone and so far have had pretty good luck with the Dish Pointer Pro App.

Wish I had one of those. But mine is still the dumb phone. So until I get a Smart phone guess I'm out on the dish pointer Pro. If I can't get this dish to work and not take an hour or more each time I set it up. I do have a round dish, If it will get the channels I may just go with it. Just want the weather channel that way I know when to sleep and when to fish. And when to cut bait.
Pete

Cyberdave

I have used this site http://www.dishpointer.com/ lot. Even though we use the Winegard carryout we often park in heavily treed areas. The nice paty of this site is that you can zoom in and place the pointer pretty much where you are locating your dish. I used it Netarts bay Oregon to find about the only spot I could get a signal.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I wait till Cookie sets his up then just hook in. LOL I would like to see something too I just got a new slimline antenna.
Private lessons available in two weeks.
HOC member discount applies.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Pete
It sounds like you are wanting to set up a portable unit when your rooftop is obstructed.
What ever method you use, having the mast plumb is critical.
I use a tripod system that I got from TV4RV.com. Been using it for about 4 years now.
They have a real basic video on their web site.
You can also search youtube for some helpful videos.

Peace
Dave

ChopperBill

Level the tripod, set the tilt, set the elevation, Sweep the dish until you get a signal. I dont use those meters. Wife hollers out the window to the % of signal. Last week setting up twice I I eye balled the neighbors and guessed on the az. Got 75-80% right off the bat. Did some tweeking and got 95+ in about 15 seconds. Good to go in less than one beer. The old single LNB I have got 90+ with just a guess. It'll come to ya.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Wildwolfproducts - sounds like you have gotten some good advice. We only use the tripod setup with walkie talkies between the coach and the dish. A DirectTv serviceman also told us to go to satellite 119, transponder 25 and use the signal meter guide within the receiver's setup for tuning. Once you get the transponder within the 90% or above range, all the other satellites will fall into place. This has worked for us for over 2 years without any problems.