Touch audio system

olyfire

I have a 32BUDS, has anyone found another unit that will fit in the hole and replace the touch unit? After 2 years mine will not play DVD's and the touch portion will not work at all, only the remote.

ZNK

The system really is a let down, youd expect better from Heartland. Why not a brand that is more known for quality? Sony, Samsung, Bose? Something better.

JeremyN

I couldn't agree more with my disappointment with this touch audio system. That is really the only thing that I cannot stand about my trailer. Since the day I bought it, I have not been able to get any FM radio stations. I live 5 miles from one of the most popular radio stations in my area, and I can't pick it up when my trailer is parked on the road in front of my house. I have called my dealer and Heartland customers service about this multiple times. Both say that because the trailers are built out of aluminum now, this tends to create a poor signal to the radio. They both advised that I should go and buy an exterior antenna to put on my trailer. Being that it is only a little over a year old, I don't feel that this should be my responsibility.

For all future customers, I sure hope that Touch Audio comes out with a better version of this stereo, or that Heartland switches to another supplier.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I couldn't agree more with my disappointment with this touch audio system. That is really the only thing that I cannot stand about my trailer. Since the day I bought it, I have not been able to get any FM radio stations. I live 5 miles from one of the most popular radio stations in my area, and I can't pick it up when my trailer is parked on the road in front of my house. I have called my dealer and Heartland customers service about this multiple times. Both say that because the trailers are built out of aluminum now, this tends to create a poor signal to the radio. They both advised that I should go and buy an exterior antenna to put on my trailer. Being that it is only a little over a year old, I don't feel that this should be my responsibility.

Others have found the radio antenna bundled up. Here is a thread on the radio antenna issue.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...n-external-FM-antenna?highlight=radio+antenna

Its also possible to add an externa whip antenna, too.

Last edited:

JeremyN

Others have found the radio antenna bundled up. Here is a thread on the radio antenna issue.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...n-external-FM-antenna?highlight=radio+antenna

Its also possible to add an externa whip antenna, too.

Thanks for the link to the thread! About this time last year, I did check to make sure the antenna was uncoiled and mine was. The reception was still horrible in my trailer. In fact, I put my $8.00 Walmart alarm clock radio right in the middle of my TT and it worked perfectly. Picked up every station clear as day (AM and FM). This makes me think that something is wrong with my radio unit, not just the reception.

I recently called Heartland again about this and they said that each time my dealer looked at the radio (along with other issues I had), they never logged anything in the Warranty system at Heartland. So this was the first they were hearing about it and now I am out of my 1 year warranty time period. Just great! ;( So basically they said that I could get it fixed and send in a copy of the invoice on how much it costs, but Heartland said that it will more than likely not get re-imbursed.

I am just probably going to get mine looked at by a local radio technician in my hometown, but I just think this really sucks. I buy a brand new trailer and nobody can help me out with anything when it comes to the radio. Just very disappointing. Like I said, before, there is nothing I can do about mine now besides take it to my local guy and eat my costs myself, but I sure hope that Heartland takes a good, long look at this for all furture customers.

olyfire

I did find a Jensen radio, DVD, CD etc. player that looks to be about the same size. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the wire harness would work. I guess I need to call Jensen. It looks like a good replacement if it works. The other factor is it runs in the 300 dollar range.

CliffP

I did find a Jensen radio, DVD, CD etc. player that looks to be about the same size. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the wire harness would work. I guess I need to call Jensen. It looks like a good replacement if it works. The other factor is it runs in the 300 dollar range.

It would most likely be more involved than just plug and play, but not much.

If you post a model number for the Jensen radio I will post a diagram showing what needs to be wired to what so everything will work as it should. (including the option to play the TV through the stereo and be able to watch a DVD using the TVs speakers) It is nice to be able to watch the outside TV and use the outside speakers. Our outside TV is very hard to hear but works great with stereo and outside speakers.

ZNK

Cliff,

How did you run your outside TV to the outside speakers? I am interested in doing the same thing.

Zack

CliffP

Cliff,

How did you run your outside TV to the outside speakers? I am interested in doing the same thing.

Zack

Zack,

I used a patch cable with a headphone jack on one end and RCA jacks on the other going from the living room tv's headphone jack to the touch audio's auxillary input. Have to have the LR tv on and outside tv just used for the picture. It does work good though.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Is it me or has the entire industry gone away from the residential type sound systems? Up until a couple of years ago, I used to see a variety of sound systems, all entry level home theater type systems. Now, they're all 'built in" boxes with a wall plate for connecting to other devices. This isn't just Heartland. I've seen it in many different manufacturers.

ZNK

Ahh. I just had the time to open up behind my touch audio system. Sure enough my antenna was also just coiled up like it had just came out of the box. Stringing it out in the camper allows us to actually get reception. Very nice to have! Once I get home I will be permanently installing it inside the cabinet above our TV so it is not visible.

I was also able to talk to Jim Beletti about our TV reception. He recommended checking the cable connections...the first one I checked revealed the copper wire inside the cable being covered in plastic. Took the plastic off and viola no more fuzzy picture in the living room! YAY.

CliffP

Ahh. I just had the time to open up behind my touch audio system. Sure enough my antenna was also just coiled up like it had just came out of the box. Stringing it out in the camper allows us to actually get reception. Very nice to have! Once I get home I will be permanently installing it inside the cabinet above our TV so it is not visible.

I was also able to talk to Jim Beletti about our TV reception. He recommended checking the cable connections...the first one I checked revealed the copper wire inside the cable being covered in plastic. Took the plastic off and viola no more fuzzy picture in the living room! YAY.

It is pretty easy to run up the column. I drilled a half inch whole at the top and bottom that can't be seen without sticking your head into the cabinet. Fished a wire down to pull the antenna wire up and ran it inside towards the front of the top cabinet. It worked great and no shortage of radio channels now.

ZNK

I am a little worried about drilling holes. I tend to want to keep things so you cannot tell that it was done. Wondering if I can determine how they assembled the wood work. I may be able to get by with just one hole out from behind the touch audio. So far extending the stock antenna seems to help with reception. I was considering converting it to coaxial and running it to the antenna on the roof. I will be bringing my Direct Tv with me on my longer adventures so I shouldn't need to use that for the TV...but I could also share it just in case.

CliffP

I am a little worried about drilling holes. I tend to want to keep things so you cannot tell that it was done. Wondering if I can determine how they assembled the wood work. I may be able to get by with just one hole out from behind the touch audio. So far extending the stock antenna seems to help with reception. I was considering converting it to coaxial and running it to the antenna on the roof. I will be bringing my Direct Tv with me on my longer adventures so I shouldn't need to use that for the TV...but I could also share it just in case.

It's been a while since I ran the antenna. I only had to drill one hole in the top cabinet. Here is a link to a post that shows what I did to run ours. The antenna (or hole) is hidden and can't be seen unless you stick your head in the cabinet.

Last edited by a moderator:

WTM

I just purchased a 2012 Sundance 265RK with this radio. The radio seems to work ok so far, but when I turn the lights on in trailer the noise from the radio is unbearable; pulsing static. Anyone have an answer why this is happening? Also, should there be an antenna somewhere for this radio? I can't find one. Thanks (first post)

danemayer

I just purchased a 2012 Sundance 265RK with this radio. The radio seems to work ok so far, but when I turn the lights on in trailer the noise from the radio is unbearable; pulsing static. Anyone have an answer why this is happening? Also, should there be an antenna somewhere for this radio? I can't find one. Thanks (first post)

Hi WTM,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and congratulations on your new Sundance. The antenna is probably tucked up behind the unit (see post #13 in this thread).

As to the static, if you bought this unit new, I'd suggest letting your dealer take care of it.

RichTully

I have a 2011 Focus. We love it. Perfect for my wife and I and on an occasion our 2 young grand daughters.The touch audio system in mine sometimes turns on by itself. Am planning on removing it anyway since the antenna disappeared and I can not find the replacement. Even the one I ordered from Heartland was not the same thread. Anyway. I will probably just change the opening and whatever else and make another cabinet out of it or put a dvd player in its place. It was never reliable from day one anyway.

Rich