Bad SHURflo 5.7?

2TrakR

So looking through all of the posts, it looks like either the SHURflo 5.7 is the most popular pump ever and with so many units in service we hear about the occasional failure OR it's a not-so-good unit that has a high failure rate (or just happens to have a lot of failures with vocal owners). Ours is the SHURflo Extreme Series Smart Sensor 5.7Ours will not pump at times. With a full hot water tank and more than 1/2 a tank of water in the regular tank, we can open any faucet or attempt to flush the toilet and the pump may or may not engage. For the times that it does not engage, we have been able to turn off the power to the pump and then turn it back on after waiting an indeterminable amount of time and it will then start pumping. This failure seems to be after not using the water for a given time during the day. Very sporadic.Additionally, while working on an item in our lower storage area, near the pump (see our automatic transfer switch failure story on the Cyclone section), we can hear the pump making a quiet "whoosh whoosh" sound. This sound will run for 5-10 minutes and starts/stops randomly. This is when no water demand is on within the rig (triple checked every faucet/outlet). It is a much different sound than the chatter of the pump when it is running normally.Before I buy another pump (and I'm checking on warranty status), is there anything else to check? Don't see any leaks nor hear anything that would be indicative of air. System works fine on city water (45lb regulator inline on the hose). When the pump works and builds pressure, we can shut off the pump and still have water pressure some time later for a brief time indicating there is no leak down happening.Regarding the warranty, the documentation that comes with the pump says to see their website for that info. On the SHURflo site it clearly states 3 year warranty and does not differentiate between the two part numbers on warranty status. I saw in other posts here that some were told the OEM pumps only had 1 year warranty. Am interested to see what happens with ours.

porthole

Retired
Call shurflo, tell them your problem, and get an RMA #, send it back.
That pump is discontinued and is replaced with stronger, quieter pump.

Just got mine replaced a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

danemayer

The OEM warranty is 1 year. If you bought it retail, the warranty is 3 years. If you're lucky, they may send you a new one anyway. They replaced mine at 18 months without any discussion of length of warranty. All they wanted was for me to peel off the sticker from the pump and mail it to them.

2TrakR

Has the "replacement" model been out for very long to know if it is any good? I don't see anything different listed on their web site.

robnmo

We're on our 4th one, and we seldom use the water pump (normally on city water hookup) we bought one, we turn ours on a few times just before the warranty expires and that pretty much knocks it out, we send in the label, to replace the spare "replacement" we carry in the cargo hold. JUNK. When we get tired of playing the "we'll send you a new one" we'll go buy a good pump. My opinion only of course. :rolleyes:

Wharton

After our 3rd one in about a year we replaced it with a Flojet. Shurflow has had so many problems with that pump you just need to call and a new one is sent. AFter 3 we felt it was time to switch brands to a more reliable brand. Flojet is in the pump business, not just a sideline like Shurflo.

Vtxkid

Had my 5.7 for two years and have used it a lot, but it failed and SHURflo replaced it no questions asked! New model 4048 replaces the discontinued model...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

marvmarcy

I'm on my third 5.7 pump in 8 months. The first burned out (got so hot it melted the flex loom around the wire lying on the motor). The second one started leaking at the pressure switch and wouldn't turn on. The third pump just this past week started running every three minutes (internal check valve quit working), so I installed a check valve in the input line, and it is woking fine (for now). When the current pump (less than one month old) decides to quit, I'll consider the new 4048 or a flojet. Since my fiver is less than nine months into the warranty, I expect Heartland to fix it.

danemayer

When the current pump (less than one month old) decides to quit, I'll consider the new 4048 or a flojet. Since my fiver is less than nine months into the warranty, I expect Heartland to fix it.
Hi Marv/Marcy,

Why are you waiting? If you call ShurFlo now, and let them know the backflow valve failed, they'll ask you to peel off and mail in the label from the pump and they'll send you a new pump under warranty. You'll have it in a week. They'll probably volunteer to send you the new model.

2TrakR

I contacted ShurFlo and they said to turn the screw on the pump as it was not shutting off. In their guess, the pump was continually running until it overheated, then shut down, then would start back up when it cooled off. Sounds like I can look forward to the same types of failures as other folks have seen.

bggrndodge

I'm in the same boat, they said turn the pressure shutoff down, not sure how many times I can turn it but now its leaking so looks like I need to call and get the upgraded one?

marvmarcy

I just installed the fifth Shurflo pump in less than a year, but it is a model 4048. The fourth 5.7 started leaking badly after only two months, so I contacted Shurflo and they took care of it though Bretz RV in Missoula, MT.

2TrakR

Did the adjustment per customer service and no difference, pump would stop working after being powered on for a few minutes. Did not matter if we had demand or not, though it "seemed" to work longer if we had demand. About half way through the day the pump quit working completely. Have a request into customer service with SHURFlo for replacement, we'll see.

Wharton

We threw in the towel after our 3rd Shurflo. Bought a Flojet and haven't had a problem since(2 years). heartland should switch mfgs with the amount of problems we see. Shruflo knows of the problems, you just need to call and they send a new one...................

2TrakR

Ours is the OEM based on model number and SHURFlo says only 1 year warranty (it is out of warranty for us based on that). Looks like a Flojet is on our list to get. Have a note into SHURFLo, but not holding my breath.

2TrakR

Warranty denied, off to buy a pump. I see Flojet is a popular replacement and I'd rather give them $$ than not-so-SHURFlo at the moment (admittedly we've had the same brand pumps in other other RVs with no issues).

What model is recommended that's close to the performance of the 5.7? We don't need the super duper pressure of the 5.7, though I'd like to be close to OEM specs.

porthole

Retired
Warranty denied, off to buy a pump. I see Flojet is a popular replacement and I'd rather give them $$ than not-so-SHURFlo at the moment (admittedly we've had the same brand pumps in other other RVs with no issues).

What model is recommended that's close to the performance of the 5.7? We don't need the super duper pressure of the 5.7, though I'd like to be close to OEM specs.

Ours is the OEM based on model number and SHURFlo says only 1 year warranty (it is out of warranty for us based on that). Looks like a Flojet is on our list to get. Have a note into SHURFLo, but not holding my breath.

I sent this note to Shurflo with my pump and within two weeks I had a new model delivered.

Note: this is my third failed pump.

This particular pump does not run unless smacking it the metal housing with a piece of wood.
It will run until you disconnect power or it shuts off with the sensor.
It will then not re-start.

I now have a fourth failed pump in my trailer (same model)
What is with these pumps that they are constantly failing?
Each time we have been away on vacation and have had to deal with the lack of water supply