Help! Hot Water is TOO Hot!

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We just had a new thermostat put into our Suburban SW12DE water heater and the water is scorching hot! Does anyone happen to know if there is some way to control the temperature?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Haven't ever given it much thought, but mine appears to be preset. There is a small Allen screw for gas flow, (I think, but it is not marked.)
It seems to get hotter on gas, than it does electric.

The replacement thermostats appear to be available online, preset at either 130 or 140 degrees. Trace

Last edited:

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The service manual I found for the Suburban water heaters indicate a preset temp of 130* that is not adjustable.

There is also a therml cutoff switch of 180* and the temp and pressure relief valve is designed to open at 200*

danemayer

We just had a new thermostat put into our Suburban SW12DE water heater and the water is scorching hot! Does anyone happen to know if there is some way to control the temperature?

I wonder if it's the correct thermostat. Maybe a discussion with the tech who installed it is in order.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
I wonder if it's the correct thermostat. Maybe a discussion with the tech who installed it is in order.

I wonder if you're right, Dan. Our original water heater wasn't nearly as hot as this one. We had to use gas for a few weeks before the electric was fixed and it was definitely hotter than the original electric - but not as not as this new one! Wowza!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Ours has always been very very hot, we just turn the hot water faucet less open and the cold water faucet more open. Seems to work for us. :rolleyes:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Our water was too hot also. I found the thermostat was not making full contact on the tank. I slightly bent the thermostat mounting bar to match the curve of the tank. I also applied thermo grease (link).

ZNK

Mom,

Ours also gets extremely hot! Wish you could adjust the max temperature...Not very good for little babies...

rick_debbie_gallant

There are devices that will shut down the flow of water if it gets too hot. The ones I have found are for the shower and a different type for the tub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZNK

Could you post a link to this device? I would like to install this possibly. Along with a few other plumbing items I am interested in installing.