I put it off long enough, first purchase coming soon

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
After talking with Linda I am finally going to make my first firearm purchase. She way hesitant in the past but now feels comfortable with having a firearm in the house. So now that I have been given the go ahead, I signed up for a "First Shots" class at a local training center. I also signed Linda up for this class. We go next Sat, Aug 4th. I called my step brother who is a retired Deputy Sheriff and he was more than happy to help me out. As it happened he was back in town camping at the local Thousand Trails that we were also at. He took my up north of Dayton to Olde English Outfitters. I was like a kid in a candy store. We looked at a lot of handguns and the one that really felt good in my hand and the one that really caught my eye was a Ruger SR40c. I also looked at a Ruger 22LR which also had a scope with it. After we left there we stopped at a Gander Mountain to comparison shop and they were definitely higher priced and for me, I was not all too impressed with them at this particular store. So I feel very compfortable woth the guysa at Olde English especially since my step brother worked with them in the past.

So I am really looking forward to the first class and intend to take some of the other classes they offer. Eventually I will get my CCW but baby steps for now. I am also looking at some safes for the home and the RV. I liked the ones they carried at Olde English and also like the ones at Harbor Freight. Not sure which eay to go on these yet.

Well I guess that is enough for now. I would appreciate any words os wisdom from the rest of you. I always value the experience from the RV side of this forum and look forward to youe thoughts about firearms.

Thanks,
Mark

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Mark, good luck in your choice. Buy the one thats most comfortable for you because you are the one that will be using it. I personally always liked the big bore (40 caliber and larger) handguns when I carried one professionally, but thats just me.

The best thing you can do is practice, practice and more practice. Practice with either hand, from a holster etc. Be as familiar as you can be with your family protector.

donr827

Your step brother can probably give you some sound advice beyond just the purchase. One thing that I will throw in is be sure that you practice on a regular basis and know how to use it safely. I have a Glock 19 and a Ruger LCP. If you plan to carry be sure you know all of the laws that are encased in the permit.
Don

davebennington

Mark,

I have to agree with Jay, try for a 40 Cal or above. I really like the Taurus Judge as it offers both shot shells as well as a large Cal it is great personnel protection both in the trailer and at home.

dave

mrcomer

Great advise so far and thank you so much. I new there would be a lot of things to consider with all aspects of personal protextion. Kinda makes you head spin. I am trying to educate myself as much as possible but as with many other things in life there is so much to learn.

Thanks again and keep the advise coming please,

Mark

jcarnevale

Congratulations on a most important decision. Here's my two cents worth:
Buy the weapon YOU feel most comfortable with and shoot well (most ranges will let you shoot a varity of guns).
Take a training class that include the legal aspect of owning a firearm (know your rights).
As earlier stated, practice, practice, practice (invest in some snap caps : http://www.azoomsnapcaps.com/home/)
Join a local shooting club that offers IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) it's a lot of fun. (http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ , http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?pick=OH)
And last but not least, be safe.

Jay

porthole

Retired
Can't buy just one :rolleyes:

Great thing about the market is you can buy two identical models in different calibers, or barrel swap kits.
Large bore for primary use and 22 or 9 for less expensive practice use.

Of the larger calibers 9 and 45 are the most popular, and the price of ammo reflects that in Lower costs.

"no replacement for displacement, cars or guns"
And some believe "never bring a gun to battle with a caliber that doesn't start with a 4

Here is a tidbit of news, The USMC is going back to "old reliable", a 45 Colt 1911, modern rail gun though.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Congratulations on a most important decision. Here's my two cents worth:
Buy the weapon YOU feel most comfortable with and shoot well (most ranges will let you shoot a varity of guns).
Take a training class that include the legal aspect of owning a firearm (know your rights).
As earlier stated, practice, practice, practice (invest in some snap caps : http://www.azoomsnapcaps.com/home/)
Join a local shooting club that offers IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) it's a lot of fun. (http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ , http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?pick=OH)
And last but not least, be safe.

Jay

I would also add that if you plan to carry concealed and plan to own only a single handgun, look for a weapon that you feel comfortable wearing around all day. Although a large caliber handgun may be desireable, if it's too heavy and uncomfortable for your body frame, it'll end up sitting in a drawer. And the type of holster and how you plan to carry the weapon is another factor. You'll probably hear a lot about In-the-Waistband ones, but they may or may not be comfortable unless you buy your pants a size or two larger and like suspenders. A large hand cannon is also hard to conceal when wearing shorts and a T-shirt. but something like a Ruger LCP .380 is easily concealed in a pocket holster.

mrcomer

Well we took another Basic handgun class last Saturday and we got to try (19) different 9mm pistols. It was very interesting how much difference there is in trigger slack and break from manufacturer to manufacturer. I was a bit disappointed in that I originally had my heart set on purchasing a Ruger (SR9)and it was one that I definitely did not like so really did get a lot of help from this particular class. Linda even had a few "favorites" after shooting them all. I actually went back to the range on Sunday and shot some of them again, at my own pace and concluded that Springfield Armory XDM compact 9mm would be my first handgun purchase. It felt good, it shot good for me and for me it is a really good looking pistol. I ordered one last night as the dealer did not have one in stock so now it is the long wait to take delivery. Looking forward to a lot of practicing to get proficient and develop good habits and muscle memory.

Thanks for all the input.
Mark

jbeletti

Mark, you did well in your process. My very learned friend took me to the range with all his handguns and we rented several more. From that experience, I was able to make a selection.

RanCarr

I just lost an entire typed post with this constant "Server too busy" problem. Now I have to retype it. :mad:

My husband took the class, got the permit to carry, and bought a 44. It looks like overkill to me, a large pistol, but what do I know? We'll be taking a cross country trip in the next year in a second RV we recently bought. A 28' Class-C. He feels it'll be good protection against criminals, bears, pit bulls and whatever else may threaten us out there on the road, in the boondocks and in the campgrounds.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mark, I also have a Springfield XD9. It's the long barrel though. While I really like the way it feels and it's accuracy, I wish I had bought the compact. Nice weapon though. Congrats.

Miller0758

I haven't read through all the postings however ... as anyone looked in the Bond Arms's Defender series? Many different barrel choices including .410. They look to be lighter than the Judge.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I haven't read through all the postings however ... as anyone looked in the Bond Arms's Defender series? Many different barrel choices including .410. They look to be lighter than the Judge.

I have a good friend and Masonic Brother who owns a gun shop in Henryetta OK. He had one in stock and I liked it. I own a Judge and if I didn't I would not hesitate to purchase.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Mark, I also have a Springfield XD9. It's the long barrel though. While I really like the way it feels and it's accuracy, I wish I had bought the compact. Nice weapon though. Congrats.

I have the same gun Ray. Carry it concealed all the time and I too wish it was a little smaller. I consider it my "knock around" pistol and love because I can carry it around the farm and if it gets beat up that's fine. But they are very rugged and I consider it my favorite of all my handguns.

porthole

Retired
Good job Mark. Nice that you to try so many, information overload?
the XD is one I would like to try, just haven't found a local dealer, with a range, that has that model in stock.

Just took a class at a new to me dealer in PA and as not expecting the myriad of choices had available to rent. Once you get out of jersey things do change.

Ran - 44 sure is big for CC, but there is a saying, never bring a gun to a gun fight with a caliber that doesn't start with a "4"

PeternLiane

Congratulations! I like the 40 calibers too. My favorite is my Beretta 96A1. You just have to find the one that's right for you. Good Luck.