How do you tell if I you have a gel coat?

lena2350

Just bought a used 2008 Sundance 3200ES. It is our first fifth wheel. The outside is in good condition, looking shiney and nice and want to keep it that way. So my questions are
1. How do you tell if it has a gel coat.
2. Do I need to use a polish first before I wax.
3. What do I use on the roof to clean it?
Thank you very much for any help

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Lena2350. Welcome to the Heartland Family and Heartland Owners Forum.
This is a great place to get information about your new rig.

1. How do you tell if it has a gel coat.
If your rig has gelcoat it will be shiny smooth like the front cap. If it is Filon you will see the strands of glass in the surface.

2. Do I need to use a polish first before I wax.
Just a good cleaning followed by a good wax with UV protectant in it.

3. What do I use on the roof to clean it?
You can buy a rubber roof cleaner at an RV dealer or WalMart. Camco makes one.
Or you can use a solution of water and Spic and Span.
Be sure to keep the sides hosed down when you are cleaning the roof, to avoid having the soap etch the sides or graphics.

Peace
Dave

lena2350

Thank you so much for your reply. Is it okay to take the hose up with you on the roof to use as you go or should you have2 buckets of water..one to wash and one to rinse?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I go up with the hose, scrub brush and cleaner. My wife stays down and hoses off the sides as I wash.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Hi lena2350,

Once you get that SD all shined up, please consider joining us at a Heartland Owners Club chapter rally near you. You do not need to be a club member to join us at these events. We have rallies coming up in WI, MN, IL, MO and MI and all over North America really. Click in the Events link on the menu bar at the top of this page.