Fuel pump died -w pics

dougw

So the last time out my fuel pump acted up but started working again. Of course I went out to the trailer this past weekend to get some fuel for the lawn mower<G> and the pump would work. So I pulled it out and dug into it. Thinking that there might be something stuck in the pump gears because I could feel the pump "clunk" when I tried to power it up. I removed the cover and didn't see anything of interest. So I dug into the motor itself. What I found was the brushes of the motor were broken into pieces and the parts were keeping the motor from turning. I removed those parts and the motor did run but didn't have enough power for some reason to turn the gears unless I loosened the cover up. I kind of figured there was something else going on with the motor. I could have ordered a new motor but figured between it and new gears and such the price difference was that great, I just ordered a new pump.

If anyone is interested here are some photos of how the pump works.
This is the GPI pump that is installed in my trailer.
Just remove the clip on the fuel inlet side and clip the wires from under the trailer, remove the
clip that is securing the fuel inlet side and it comes right out. Of course make sure all electrical is OFF.
Yes there will be some fuel that drips out.
P1020399.JPG

The Gear cover removed w 4 bolts. The Gear on the right side in this picture has a small
plastic piece in the middle of it that locks the gear onto the motor. Not much to these
pumps.
P1020402.JPG

Gears removed. The motor shaft is sticking out in the upper brass tube.
P1020403.JPG

Gears removed.
P1020404.JPG

To get the motor out you remove 2 bolts from the motor side and remove the cover. You can
remove the insides as well as the outside tube around the motor is now loose and can come out
of the main assembly. The small pieces below the motor are the parts left from the brushes that
broke off inside.
P1020405.JPG

Attachments

• P1020399.JPG
    P1020399.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 96

71stang99

I take it this is the fuel transfer station pump on a toy hauler? If so mine has never worked. It turns on and with the tank 3/4 full (1/2) according to the guage it will never pump a drop of fuel out. I know it turns on as it hums at the pump station but doesnt work.

I have a 2012 Cyclone 370 ... everything was fine, but out of the blue I turn on the fuel pump to pump fuel into my lawn mower, however it never turns on as it blows its 20 amp fuse in the unit .... any ideas? It was just fine .. haven't gone anywhere between when it worked and now it doesn't. Any ideas?

Billy

dougw

I suspect it's either jammed between the gears or you have the same issue I did with the broken brushes. It's jamming up and over loading the fuse.

Stang99' these really don't hum, they defiantly sound like gears turning.

Doug

71stang99

well if its gears turning then I have an issue for sure, it just hums and to me sounds like an electric motor without flowing the fuel.

scottyb

I have a 2012 Cyclone 370 ... everything was fine, but out of the blue I turn on the fuel pump to pump fuel into my lawn mower, however it never turns on as it blows its 20 amp fuse in the unit .... any ideas? It was just fine .. haven't gone anywhere between when it worked and now it doesn't. Any ideas?

Billy

Mine has always pumped very slowly. Now it has done exactly as BillyKearney has described. Blew a 20A fuse which I replaced, and now nothing. It doesn't turn on at all.

scottyb

I talked to Bryan at GPI and he said that the gears do not agree with the ethanol that is in most gas today, and causes them to swell and bind. They are being made with a different material now. I am to pull the gears and check to see if the motor will start. If the motor is still good, they will send new gears. I will check this out as soon as I can.

Mizmary

What year is your cyclone? I wonder if we are going to have the same issue eventually? We don't use it much but sure would hate to have it go bad.

DC10-FE

Do you happen to have the contact info for Bryan at GPI? I have the same problem with the gears swelling and binding against the gear cover. I loosened the bolts just a hair and the pump works fine. When I tighten them up, I get no flow or motor operation. What type of information does he need in order to send new gears? Thanks

1231ChaseB

I took the gears out of mine and rubbed the flat sides on some fine sandpaper and put it back together and it has worked ever since ! Easy fix !!!
chaseb

scottyb

Do you happen to have the contact info for Bryan at GPI? I have the same problem with the gears swelling and binding against the gear cover. I loosened the bolts just a hair and the pump works fine. When I tighten them up, I get no flow or motor operation. What type of information does he need in order to send new gears? Thanks

800-835-0113

DC10-FE

I took the gears out of mine and rubbed the flat sides on some fine sandpaper and put it back together and it has worked ever since ! Easy fix !!!
chaseb

I was actually planning to do that to mine to prevent any leakage. I'm curious as to what type of material they used on the new gears to prevent the swelling from re-occurring.