2 A/C units--how does that work?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
So I have question for those of you that have (2) A/C units. Do they work completely independent of each other or do they work in conjunction with one another? Like you know, one is on while the other if off and vise-versa.:confused:

Thank you,

Mark

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
They are independent. The main unit is ducted and second unit in the bedroom is non-ducted. Only use that one when the temps are extremely high to keep the bedroom cooler. Since heat rises and the bedroom is the fartherest from the main unit, the bedroom sometimes just doesn't cool down enough.

jpmorgan37

The main unit is 15k btu and the bedroom unit is 13.5k. A lot of the time during the day, if the temps are not too high, I will just run the bedroom unit with the vents directed towards the living area and it keeps the coach cool without having the noise from the main unit. Both of our units are also heat pumps, which we use in the winter. In conjunction with the dual pane windows, our coach stays very comfortable winter and summer. We've been in temps from 18 degrees to 108 degrees and no problem keeping it comfortable.

John

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thank you for the info, I was pretty sure they were independant. I guess you would have to spend a pretty penny to get them tied together where the would cycle opposite each other and still maintain temps in different zones. More curious than anything. :eek:

ChopperBill

We only have one A/C but I did the TimK "tent in the vent" mod and smoothed out all the tranistion areas. Last week in South Dakota it was in the mid to high 90's. Wow! Did it work great! I could sit in my Euro chair and the air coming down at times was un-comfortably cool. We left the bathroom door propped open and that air along with the regular bedroom vents kept it nice a cool. I highly recomend that mod before putting in a second air, but keep in mind ours is the short model.

busted2341

I must really be an idiot because I don't understand how to do the tent in the vent thing. I sure want to get the cooling that you report, but my limited mechanical ability keeps me from trying. I saw some pics posted but could not figure it out. Is there a SIMPLE directive out there for us non-mechanical types. I am here in south Texas and in the 90's the a/c just doesn't keep up...

Had ExploreUSA install a second unit (Carrier) 13,500 BTU in my 3055RL, it cools my whole RV, we live in Cypress TX.

timk

Frank,
Its not really complicated. Your blower in the air conditioner is moving the air in circular path, throwing the flow of air into the middle of the ceiling grill, then it has to find its way into the side ducts.
What your trying to do is just tape a piece of light metal to catch part of the main flow from the blower, and smoosh it over to the side vents a little more directly.
Or just grab some beers and pop over to Arizona and I'll do it for you.

ChopperBill

Busted, If you take the grill off you can see just what TK is talking about. I was some what confused until I did that. Then I went back and taped off all areas where it would make the air transition smoother. With your 3055 I would almost bet that is all you would have to do. Save the extra money on a second A/C and buy us all beers! :D

busted2341

Thanx Chopperbill, your talking my language...BEER....If it saves cash then I'm in...the project for this weekend.....thanx..I also brought up some old photos and printed them...I hope I can figure it out without breaking anything....

jwb187

I had a second air conditioner installed this summer before we took a trip to the Alabama coast. It is a Dometic Duo-therm 13500btu same brand as the original equipment one. Works great when on a super hot day temps in mid 90's strain the one AC keeping the coach cold. I have to have it cold and there's no doubt about it the second one will cool the trailer probably better then the first one. It is of course a manual controlled one and is not ducted. Just set the vents to blow down a little and you can probably shut off the thermostat controlled one. I had done the TimK tent fix which drasticaslly improved the OE one but its nice to have a back up in case one quits and also it cuts down on cool down time when you arrive at a campground. I'm glad I added the second unit...jmho....jwb.

busted2341

I found the photos when I did a search for the vent in the tent...the photos really do not show much...that's why I still need help.....I know there are a couple somewhere else on the website but I couldn't find them.

ChopperBill

Take the grille off. Only 6 screw in about a minute. It will clear up the deal just by looking in there. I know it did for me.

busted2341

That is the plan this weekend..thanx....I'll see what happens, for all my ability I might be in the heat for awhile...