Verizon Jetpack Mifi 4620L

RuralPastor

I just purchased this mifi for email and post-grad school stuff (and keeping up with the Heartland site:eek:) while traveling. Any suggestions, tips, etc. for it would be appreciated. As well, I am wondering what others are doing for antennas and amplifiers. If anyone is using Wilson Electronics stuff, I would like to know what it is. My son works for Wilson and has ability to purchase equipment reasonably.

Most of our travels are in rural America (think: no 4G) with sketchy cell service. Thanks.

Mark

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi Mark
Thought I would give you an idea of what we do. I have two Aircards. A Verizon and Sprint. One is good in many places and the other is good in other places. This gives me good coverage almost anywhere we go. It is a bit expensive to have two air cards but I have internet access almost everywhere. The times I don't have access is when we are quite a way off the beaten path.

I use these all the time:
1 ea. Sprint Novatel U720 Rev A USB Air Card
1 ea Verizon USB760 Air Card
1 ea. CradlePoint MBR1000 EVDO/HSDPA Router

I use these as needed:
1 ea Freedom signal booster antenna
1 ea. U727 / USB727 Adapter Cable - 32-0057-02
1 ea. U720/USB720 Adapter Cable - 359909

In some cases I have use the following equipment to bring in a weak signal, but only very very seldom.

The Coverage of the providers are getting better so I seldom have to use these.
1 ea. AC Power Supply For Amplifier - 859903
1 ea. Direct Connect Amplifier (3 Watt) - 811201
1 ea. 20' RG-58 Cable - FME/Female to N/Male - 951104
1 ea. Indoor/Outdoor Dual-Band Directional Panel Antenna - 301135

I got these in 2009 so they are probably a bit out of date.

That's what I do...
BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mark. go to the 3Gstore.com and you can find accessories to fit your needs. Be aware that some wifi antennas will only work with 3G and some will work with both. You can determine from that site, which accessories are made by Wilson so you can get a good deal through your son.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've been using the Verizon 4510L while at the campground, as well as in other resorts since last summer. Even fire it up at home when the cable service (usually their modem) goes bad. Don't like public WiFi's. But I use the device "neat," without any antenna, etc. Seems to work fine. When I first got it and was having trouble linking up, I spoke with Verizon and they said that the cell phone signal strength was not related to how well the 3G or 4G service worked. Don't know what that means.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Mark... We have the 4620L and it works great! We just got back from 40 days on the road and the only time we did not have a signal was when we were very remote (dirt roads into the mountains of Montana and camped down in the depression by a lake). In fact, I dumped our AT&T high speed internet service and only use the mifi 4620L here at home. We have a 4g tower one block from our house and 5gb of data service is $50 a month. We have yet to go over 4 gb usage, usually 2.5 to 3 is average. We were at a forest service campground in Warm River, Idaho for a week and I had internet (& home phone connect service) when everyone else was driving down the road to find a spot they could get service from both AT&T and Verizon. The antenna in the 4620L and the home phone connect router seem to work better than a standard cell phone. We are very happy with the setup. Good Luck!

3Gstore

I just purchased this mifi for email and post-grad school stuff (and keeping up with the Heartland site:eek:) while traveling. Any suggestions, tips, etc. for it would be appreciated. As well, I am wondering what others are doing for antennas and amplifiers. If anyone is using Wilson Electronics stuff, I would like to know what it is. My son works for Wilson and has ability to purchase equipment reasonably.

Most of our travels are in rural America (think: no 4G) with sketchy cell service. Thanks.

Mark

If you want the ultimate setup I'd recommend the Surecall 3 Watt amp in 3G, or 4G plus the full band Omni antenna. This combo is what most people are going with now and are very happy with the results. These are Cellphone-Mate (Surecall) products though, if you want to stick with Wilson the new Sleek 4G-V is a great cost effective setup. I recently swapped my 2G/3G Sleek for the newer 2G/3G/4G Sleek and it works very well in my car.