I need a geek!

Tanuki

I have a Toshiba TV and a Genesis 2.0 receiver/CD/DVD player in my BC 2950. I want to connect TV audio to the surround sound through the Genesis. I have done the following based on advice from The Shack and some net searches:
1. Digital coaxial cable from the digital audio out on TV;
2. Digital coaxial cable to the Digital Audio Converter box.
3. RCA audio cables(2) from the Digital Audio Converter.
4. RCA cables to the dual RCA-to-3.5mm stereo male plug adapter.
5. 3.5mm male plug to the AUX input on front of Genesis.

For my troubles, all I get is a machine-gun-like popping coming out of the speakers. What am I doing wrong? I don't understand why HL doesn't prewire the rigs this way to start with. If you have HDTV and surround sound installed, why wouldn't you connect them?

evolvingpowercat

I suggest a simpler way or two in the following order ...

1. If your Toshiba TV has RCA audio out jacks, use those to the AUX input. You may have to get into the menu on the TV and change the Audio out from speakers to audio out jacks to get this to work. The digital audio out converted to Analog audio is OK, but not adding anything since you don't have digital IN to take advantage of.

Note this may have also been your issue with the digital audio out jack not doing anything, too, if the TV is not set to use the audio out only the internal speakers.

2. If your Toshiba TV has a 3.5 mm headphone out jack you could connect to the aux in using 3.5 mm male to male cable - should work if you get the volume on the Toshiba TV set just right so its not over loading the input jack on the Genesis. This has the advantage of your not having to touch the menus on the TV.

Good luck!

danemayer

I have a Toshiba TV and a Genesis 2.0 receiver/CD/DVD player in my BC 2950. I want to connect TV audio to the surround sound through the Genesis. I have done the following based on advice from The Shack and some net searches:
1. Digital coaxial cable from the digital audio out on TV;
2. Digital coaxial cable to the Digital Audio Converter box.
3. RCA audio cables(2) from the Digital Audio Converter.
4. RCA cables to the dual RCA-to-3.5mm stereo male plug adapter.
5. 3.5mm male plug to the AUX input on front of Genesis.

For my troubles, all I get is a machine-gun-like popping coming out of the speakers. What am I doing wrong? I don't understand why HL doesn't prewire the rigs this way to start with. If you have HDTV and surround sound installed, why wouldn't you connect them?

I'll hazard a guess. If it's a Gefen converter, you have to select the type of source and make sure that Dolby Digital audio is turned off at the source.

The Genesis 2.0 manual shows an Optical Audio connector and right below it what looks to be a Digital Coax Connector. So the other choice might be to plug the Digital Coax Cable directly into the Digital Coax Connector on the back of the Genesis 2.0. Have you tried that?

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
OK, put on the brakes! I had the same problem and I pulled the Genesis out. The optical cable was not connected correctly. Now I have full surround sound.

Tanuki

Thanks for the ideas. But:
a. No RCA out jacks. No headphone jack.
b. All three of my fifth graders have unfortunately (in this case) grown up and moved out. Although you are quite right--it seems intuitive to a teenager.
c. Dan & Rex: You might be on to something. I didn't realize there were additional input/output jacks on the back of the Genesis 2.0. Now I just have to figure out how to get unit out of the cabinetry. Any suggestions? I don't want break plastic or scratch wood by using a crow bar, but unit seems pretty firmly attached. How does it come off? I don't see any latches, springs or screws?

John & Janet Gilstrap

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Now I just have to figure out how to get unit out of the cabinetry. Any suggestions? I don't want break plastic or scratch wood by using a crow bar, but unit seems pretty firmly attached. How does it come off? I don't see any latches, springs or screws?

John & Janet Gilstrap

On the sides left and right of the Genisis is a skinny trim piece that comes off to uncover three screws on each side. Mine only had two screws holding it in. Pull the screws and pull the unit out. Its a tight fit around the plugs but pull the left rear first.

TXTiger

I have a 2012 Cyclone 4014 with a Jensen audio system, not the Genesis system you have. I purchased a 40 inch Samsung TV. My son who is an installer for Cox cable set everything up for me. We could not find a optical cable at Best Buy, where I bought the Samsung, and the Samsung does not have RCA audio out. We went with a 3.5 mini plug which plugged into the back of the TV with RCA left and right jacks on the other end of the wire which went into the aux imput on the Jensen. I just turn the volume all the way down on the TV and set the Jensen to Aux1 and the sound comes out of the speakers installed by Hartland in the ceiling. Its not true surround sound since there is no front and rear, just left and right, but it sounds better than the speakers on the TV.

rick_debbie_gallant

I am very surprised that the tv and the stereo system are lacking both the optical connection and the digital coax connection. Is it possible that your units can "talk" to each other through either blue tooth or perhaps wi-fi? Have you looked into that yet? Not knowing which TV and audio receiver you have be hard to help you trouble shoot... Look for a blue tooth connection.. or maybe even a usb connection or perhaps an Hdmi! with that you just need the one cable going from the tv to the audio equipment.