ATF: Big Country - Winterization valve purpose?

dbbls59

What is the purpose of the winterization position on the water valve in the UDC? During the PDI the tech said I needed to unhook the hose at the inlet side of the water pump and install another hose to go into the antifreeze container.

RoadJunkie

The winterize valve selects the source from which the water pump draws fluid. In the "Normal" position, the water pump draws fluid from the fresh water tank. In the "Winterize" position, the water pump draws fluid from whatever fluid is presented, e.g. potable anti-freeze, into an umbilical hose that extends from the UDC. The umbilical hose is submersed into the fluid (anti-freeze) as a source for winterizing the RV plumbing. Each faucet is then opened in a singular pattern--using the water pump--to charge the plumbing with anti-freeze.

dbbls59

What umbilical hose? There is not any in my UDC. The picture of the UDC in the Big Country brochure is different that the one on my BC.

dbbls59

I have got my answer. JD from Heartland called and told me how it works. I must connected a short hose to the water fill then place this into the jug of anti-freeze. The "winterizing" position will pull the anti-freeze into the plumbing system. Guess I need to educate the dealers tech.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Does the umbilical hose have a threaded plastic nut on the end? If so what is it's purpose?
Depending on what rig you have, you may have the umbilical hose with a female plastic fitting on it.
That hose will go into a jug of antifreeze when winterizing.
Or if you need a longer hose you can screw a male fitting, with an extension hose attached to it.
Either way its purpose is to allow the pump to draw antifreeze through the system when winterizing.

Peace
Dave

sengli

I took an old garden hose and cut off a chunk, and attached the appropriate fitting to match the input connection in UDC, and then just drop the open end of that hose into your anti freeze jug. Honestly it seems like the techs at the dealers all think we should just know this. I am new to the RV camping, and it wasnt explained to me in any detail with my PDI either. I read the manual for most of the detail. My 2011 was different than this 2013 coach I now have.