Tripped Braker, Re-set, No Power Now

scottyb

I brought my new Cyclone home yesterday. I ran all systems off of shore power from the new 50 A service i had installed. Today I ran one AC, set on 82 degres, just to take the edge off the 104 temps we are having. This afternoon, I again turned on the 2nd AC so that we could enjoy sitting in the RV and watching TV tonight. A while later, a main braker on the service tripped, so i assumed it was due to both AC's running at the same time as my water well pump (seperate braker). I re-set the main service braker, then re-set the main braker in the RV, NO POWER. I used my multi meter and checked voltage at the source and at the plug on the power cord. Both legs are hot showing 110v+, going into the RV. No brakers are tripped, no fuses appear to be blown, yet no power. The owners manual is VAGUE. There is not a "trouble shooting guide" and the section for electrical is basic and brief. Am I overlooking something simple?

jimtoo

Hi Scottyb,

I am not sure, but if you have generator prep... there might be some breakers on the transfer unit. I think this transfer unit is in the front storage compartment where the generator would be. If not, make sure you turned the breakers off and then back on,,, not just pushing to the on position.

Jim M

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If Jim's suggestion didn't work, try running off the generator. Sure sounds like a breaker at either the transfer switch or main panel didn't reset correctly.

scottyb

I have checked the voltage all the way up to where it enters the coach. Both legs are hot. I have not pulled the breaker box out to see if there is power to the main breaker. I'm waiting to see if there is something more obvious to check. I have a call into the dealer. Where exactly is the transfer switch. It should be a box with both shore and gen power going into it, right? The manual for the Onan makes no mention of it. It doesn't appear to be in the generator compartment. There are breakers on the control panel, inside the generator. I have tried re-setting them but I don't think they have anything to do with it since they are upstream of the transfer switch.

danemayer

Fire up the generator for a few minutes. If the transfer switch is stuck, this might free it up.

Someone recently found a transfer switch connection that was loose, resulting in arcing that damaged the connections, leading to failure.

I'm not sure about your Cyclone, but on many rigs, the transfer switch is near the power converter, behind the removable basement wall.

If you located the switch, make sure shore power is disconnected before opening it.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Fire up the generator for a few minutes. If the transfer switch is stuck, this might free it up.

Someone recently found a transfer switch connection that was loose, resulting in arcing that damaged the connections, leading to failure.

I'm not sure about your Cyclone, but on many rigs, the transfer switch is near the power converter, behind the removable basement wall.

If you located the switch, make sure shore power is disconnected before opening it.

Ahhh, the joys of a new rig. The first night out in our Landmark I was in the basement at 11:00pm troubleshooting a non-working converter (but that's another story). On second thought, I think I would try to physically check the transfer switch before firing up the generator given the issues one other member had with loose connections. Unplug from shore power also, then physicaly ensure the wiring is connected well to the switch. Then hook back up shore power and check the voltage coming out the downstream side. Then try the generator. It sounds like the problem is somewhere between the transfer switch and/or the AC panel.

porthole

Retired
Scott
You have a factory Genny?

Some hints:
The transfer switch is automatic
The transfer switch has generator priority, e.g., if you are plugged into shore power and start the genny, it will switch over. Do you have power then?

When you plug in your shore power there will be a loud clunk if the transfer switch is working.

In the trailer, flip all the breakers on and off. And feel for a solid "re-engagement". I found on my panel the the trim sometimes interferes with the breaker.
Magnetic circuit breakers need full travel to reset.
If your 50 amp breaker in the panel has power to it but not through the breaker, maybe it is bad. They are standard household breakers.
That panel is split just like in a house, look closely and you will see the two buss bars.

The transfer switch should be behind a the rear basement wall, about in the center. Grey box about 6x4x4.
With the trailer plugged in and no power to the panel yet, give the T-switch a sharp rap with something not too hard (piece of wood, your knuckles etc)
Some folks have found loose wires in that switch. The wire is standard household type wire and I wonder about it's use in our rolling earthquakes.
Wiring in our trailers would never be allowed in boats, one reason being the lack of vibration resistance.

wdk450

Some people have had problems with the 50 amp shore power connector, either not making good contact, or the wiring screws being loose.

scottyb

Turned out to be a bad Transfer Switch. I could smell it as soon as I removed the pannel. I tried rapping it with a piece of 2 x 4. When I opened it, there was a little soot on the lid. Hot on the shore side, dead on the load side. I dropped it at the dealer, they have one in stock, and I will pick it up in the AM. Could be another case of loose wiring.