Can't hear over tv over air conditioner

Hoehand

We bought a new 3690 SL Big Country in April in Seguin,Tx.,burning up in it still,but that is for another forum we can't hear the tv over the a/c .We have a Toshiba tv and the genesis radio,DVD,mp3,etc. How can you get the tv to use the speakers unless a DVD is in? I asked our dealer but I guess there was too many other things wrong they didn't get around to fixing it....they had said maybe they could do that since so much had been left unfixed before delivery.Anyway all I was told was they thought I needed some cable to fix it....We are are tired of hollering over a/c and trying to hear each other and/ or tv.When a DVD is in you can hear fine on 15 when just tv is on it has to be on 50 .NOT a well thought out system we have read booklets but get no sense out of them.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I found this "blurb" on another forum...

Based on the pamphlet they provide, or maybe it's the manual, there appears to be at least two paths for audio in from your television. If you have a Toshiba like mine, you have access to a Toslink digital audio output that can be shared with your Genesis to handle stereo and Surround audio that is available over the air. There also appear to be many analog audio inputs that would work, too.

There should be an unused HDMI port on the back of the Genesis that can provide true HD to the TV set. And since the TV has two HDMI ports available, I'll drop an extension down to the cabinet below for other devices that I might want to add that support it.

According to the booklet, it even has Bluetooth connectivity to your phone for taking and making hands-free
phone calls as well as streaming music (if your phone supports it).

I bought a 2013 big country 3650RL...Im unable to hear the tv at full blast either... I even switched tv's but still the same problem. I would appreciate any help as well.

Birchwood

Our Satellite receiver connects through the DVD /receiver sound system that gives us the option of surround sound
or just sound from the TV.If you only have cable the TV sound may only be available.

danemayer

Most of the new TVs and Surround Sounds have Optical Audio connectors and just need a cable like this. Sometimes they use a Digital Coax Audio Cable like this.
Once you get to the back of the equipment, it shouldn't take more than a few seconds to make the connections and select the matching input with the Surround Sound remote control. You might have to select audio out on the TV as well.

If you look at the manuals, they typically picture the back panel connections. The Genesis 2.0 manual is posted in the Tools section of this forum and clearly shows both TOS Optical and Digital Coax Audio connectors. You'll probably have to find the TV manual in your documentation, or online at the Toshiba website to see what it shows.

It's perfectly reasonable to ask your dealer to do install the cable, but it's usually much easier to get things like this done before taking delivery. I hope your dealer gets around to fixing whatever pre-delivery problems are left.

If you look in the Air Conditioning section of the forum, I'm sure you'll find lots of tips on getting the most from your A/C. Hope you bought the optional front A/C - you absolutely need it in Texas.

TeJay

We have the same problem. The tech used the TV headphone out jack and plugged it into the audio jack of the Genesis. That worked. We now get audio out of all speakers in the camper. Well except the two speakers that quit working but I guess that's another problem.
TeJay

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Most of today's TVs have the speakers on the rear of the TV pointing away from you the viewer. We have to pull our TV out from the compartment it is mounted in (thankfully it is mounted on a pullout swivel arm). In order to hear it when the air conditioner is running we have to pull it out some and turn the volume way up. Depending on the show or channel(some are louder than others) we sometimes even have to turn on the closed captioning to hear and see what is being said. I don't like using surround sound for regular TV as it sometimes scares the dogs and disturbs neighbors as you can hear it outside (no outside speakers) the RV.

pegmikef

We have the same problem. The tech used the TV headphone out jack and plugged it into the audio jack of the Genesis. That worked. We now get audio out of all speakers in the camper. Well except the two speakers that quit working but I guess that's another problem.
TeJay

I had to do this too because my tv doesn't have any audio out ports. Works fine.

Larry&LyndaSmith

Past New Mexico Chapter Leaders
We have a Toshiba TV & a Genesis 2. You use a coax cable from the optical/audio port on the TV to the audio in port on the Genesis and set the mode to aux3 and lower the tv volume all the way. This works on our 2012 BH 3070 RL living room TV.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Plan B...wireless headphones. Not everyone cares to wear an audio headphone but they do work quite well. Good for watching TV when spouse is sleeping and you can also listen to your favorite music outside without disturbing your neighbors. Just a thought!

Hoehand

Is the audio port of the genesis 2.0 on the back of it and if so how do you get to it? We have a 2012 3690SL Big Country ---The genesis is located in cabinet below tv right and right above our main electrical panel-looks like it would have to come out to reach back of it .

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hoehand, I do not have the Genesis system, but this question has come up a few times.
Seems that the front bezel of the radio pops off. Then there are two screws holding it in place.

Peace
Dave

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We can have the TV to come thru the speakers by hitting the aux. button on the DVD player.

dave10a

We bought a new 3690 SL Big Country in April in Seguin,Tx.,burning up in it still,but that is for another forum we can't hear the tv over the a/c .We have a Toshiba tv and the genesis radio,DVD,mp3,etc. How can you get the tv to use the speakers unless a DVD is in? I asked our dealer but I guess there was too many other things wrong they didn't get around to fixing it....they had said maybe they could do that since so much had been left unfixed before delivery.Anyway all I was told was they thought I needed some cable to fix it....We are are tired of hollering over a/c and trying to hear each other and/ or tv.When a DVD is in you can hear fine on 15 when just tv is on it has to be on 50 .NOT a well thought out system we have read booklets but get no sense out of them.

I too have had my share of too many problems with the Genesis 3.0. I ended up replacing it with a Sony and Bose speaker system. I would contact Hartland and either demand your money back or having it fixed. Don't put up with any crap from the dealer....... You don't need extra cables that you need to pay for and if they eventually fix it, my bet is the weather and AM/FM station reception will not work well if at all.

We bought a big country 3650RL and have the same problem- TV is mounted to close to wall. And with Speakers
shooting sound out the back, the volume is muffled. We bought a panasonic sound bar with a wireless woofer.
Compact with good sound.
You buy new RV hoping for a good quality product with few problems- Next unit we will ask to have plugged into power to get a better idea - if we will like before we buy.