A few clarifications and opinions needed about the 26LRSS

festus

Hi all,

After a few weeks of web research, we've pretty much decided on the 26LRSS. Just a couple things we'd like to know before taking an hour drive to go see one in person.

1. Do you find the kitchen storage sufficient for 3-4 week trips?
  2. Do you find the kitchen work area large enough? My wife loves to cook almost all meals from scratch. Looks like we could move the dinette table over closer if necessary.
  3. Are the 2 chairs in the rear living area rocking chairs, rocker/recliners, recliners or just plain padded chairs? Are upgrades available?
If we end up going with this unit, I guarantee I'll be back for more tips and with more questions.

Thanks in advance,
festus

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm sure others will chime in, but I'll tell you, I'm not sure you can move the table. It may use metal support tubes that secure into holes in the floor.

Secondly, if it has the sink covers, you may gain a little countertop space, but not much. The stove, once uncovered, yields very little counter space around it. We had a similar setup in our 21fbs, and wished for more counter space.

I cannot speak on the chairs, but would guess they are a form of recliner.

You can contact Heartland direct and ask to speak to a North Trail rep, they can give you more details on what's available as far as upgrades, the table style, sink covers, etc.

Edit: it may also have a countertop extension out past the sink. Again, check with HL.

You can't go wrong with a NorthTrail!

pegmikef

Hi all,

After a few weeks of web research, we've pretty much decided on the 26LRSS. Just a couple things we'd like to know before taking an hour drive to go see one in person.

1. Do you find the kitchen storage sufficient for 3-4 week trips?
  2. Do you find the kitchen work area large enough? My wife loves to cook almost all meals from scratch. Looks like we could move the dinette table over closer if necessary.
  3. Are the 2 chairs in the rear living area rocking chairs, rocker/recliners, recliners or just plain padded chairs? Are upgrades available?
If we end up going with this unit, I guarantee I'll be back for more tips and with more questions.

Thanks in advance,
festus

We have had the NT 26LRSS for a year and a half and consider it adequate for its size. We like it because we can go places that often the larger rigs can't.

1) In our rig DW owns almost all the cabinent space in the living area and so far has done fine. I claim the top shelf in the cabinet under the TV for DVDs, CDs, and other related stuff. She uses the other shelves for canned/boxed goods. I added a shelf to the cabinet over the sink so that doubled the space. Without the shelf there is just a lot of wasted space because of the height. Even with the storage space, we still normally end up hitting grocery stores during extended trips.

2) The work space is somewhat limited, but the sink inserts help to increase that. She always makes it work and usually keeps the stove top down while preparing the food. She manages to use most of the standard appliances (mixer, food processor, can opener, coffee pot, etc) and so far we have managed. We have never moved the table over closer, but I have seen her use it for overflow stuff sometimes during preparation. The table is moveable. It is just screwed to the floor. We move it all the time when we have people over for dominos or other games. The 26LRSS does not have the counter extension (at least my 2011 doesn't).

One thing my wife does is always cooks anything greasy outside in her grill pan both because of space and the odor. If you are on shore power there is usually a second 20 amp circuit and I use a 12 gauge extension cord to run her appliances. We bought a folding multiple height table at Sam's which we adjust to counter height when cooking outside. The table travels folded on the bed and is the first thing we take out and set up.

3) The two chairs in mine are swivel rockers. We are looking for a small wall hugger recliner to replace it, but haven't found one we like yet. I don't know if there are other options because I bought mine off the lot.

Hart

In searching for info on the NT 26LRSS, found your post. Would you please share sizes for the gray and black tanks? Also, will jackets hang in the cabinet space at the foot of the bed?
Just discovered that a '13 unit is available in our town. We are former owners of NT 26RKS, sold for more space.

berky

The gray and black tanks are 37 gallons each.

In our 2012 26 LRSS the storage at the foot of the bed is set up with two drawers at thigh height and then a TV shelf above that. The half-height wardrobes on either side if the head of the bed have rods in them. My XL jackets touch the bottom of the wardrobe by an inch or tow, which really doesn't bother me.

goducks11

We have one. Our longest trip was right at 2 weeks. Fridge is too small to go 3-4 weeks. We ended up hitting a crocery store after 1 week. Veggies won't keep all that much longer anyway. We use the area under the tv for our pantry. We put the coffee pot, glasses above the sink. We put napkins, paper plates, boxed items, chips crakers, etc above the sofa. In the rear we put games, manuals, a set of large mixing bowls up there. We use the pull out sofa storage bin for pots and pans, and some other cooking things. Top drawer by the sink we have silver ware, bottom drawer we have cooking utensils. The counter is marginal at best. I made a counter extention that flips up on the door side of the counter. We love cooking and always seem to find a way to get it done. But theres no doubt that the next unit we get will have twice the counter space. Chairs are swivel rockers. Table can be moved anywhere you want. It's only held down by 4 screws. We found some nice recliner chairs at Ashley furniture that we are going to upgrade to this spring. What the 26LRSS misses is a pantry.

In the bedroom we added a shelf to the little closet above the two drawers. One thing we found is the drawers in the bedroom always want to slide open when towing so I made a wooden dowl with a couple brackets that connect them together. Also the cheesy strap holding the sliding door is worthless. I installed a sliding latch on the floor to the rear of the sliding door. Works great.

pegmikef

The gray and black tanks are 37 gallons each.

In our 2012 26 LRSS the storage at the foot of the bed is set up with two drawers at thigh height and then a TV shelf above that. The half-height wardrobes on either side if the head of the bed have rods in them. My XL jackets touch the bottom of the wardrobe by an inch or tow, which really doesn't bother me.

The first thing I did was raise the bars as high as possible in the side wardrobes. I also took out the TV swivel platform and added three shelves to the space for the TV for a total of four shelves. Wife uses one for towels, sheets, etc. and we use two for folding stuff like levis, sweatshirts, tshirts, etc. and the remaining shelf for the travel library, warranty info and anything else that will fit. This gives us quite a bit more room.